• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Light for growing and producing peppers

Hey everyone! I am very,very new to pepper growing, and had a good start with an orange habanero plant, but now that frost season is upon me, I wish to try to grow some peppers inside my apartment. I don't have alot of space available because I am in Military Housing. I have some pics of my basic, poor setup. I have two compact florescent lights on the peppers right now. Each are 26 watt that produce 1750 lumens each, and are 2700K. I am trying to grow the seedlings, and also trying to grow some ripe peppers as well. Any suggestions of how to make this work in the space I have are highly welcome.

My Setup Pics

I would first suggest changing the 2700k out to a 5000-6500k bulb. I did a test run with one plant under a 6400 and one under a 2700. The 2700 plant's growth was stunted while the 6400 plant doubled in size in about a month. I understand that 2700 may have some benefits with flowering, but you will definitely need a 5000-6500k to grow.

I would first suggest changing the 2700k out to a 5000-6500k bulb. I did a test run with one plant under a 6400 and one under a 2700. The 2700 plant's growth was stunted while the 6400 plant doubled in size in about a month. I understand that 2700 may have some benefits with flowering, but you will definitely need a 5000-6500k to grow.

+1

Ok. I have made the setup a little different. I think I am on the right idea now. I have two CFL soft white that produce 1750 lumens each @ 2700K, and two CFL daylight that produce about 1100 lumens each @ 6500K. I plan on putting some aluminum foil up for reflecting as well. Do you think I am on the right track? Would I need some type of heat source as well?

Thanks for the help everyone!

Whether you will need heat depends upon what the heat loss of your growing space is. It is different than anyone else's.

Mylar is a better reflector than alum foil.

Back