• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Light Height Paradox

Think I'm making progress on first grow. Supposed to put in ground in the next 30-45 days. Have some questions and observations I'd like to get input on: 1. I have a lot of plants that have taken off on me. Have kept lights low and used a fan but these things are really reaching for the sky. Now they're getting sunburned by the light (darkening/purpling of the leaves). Worried if I raise the lights they'll just keep doing the jack and beanstalk routine. They are both hybrid Thai and Kung Pao Home Depot seeds. What's the lesser of two evils? Legginess or sunburn? 2. When I transplanted last week, wondered if I could seat the leggy ones deeper (possibly even above the first set of leaves). Would that help or be bad for the plant? 3. Transplanted into peat pots on cap mats. Thought this would be a good idea but the peat pots soaked up the water like crazy and the cap mats were wetter than I expected (not like the seed starting kit). Now I have a little yellowing so I took the pots off the cap mats and just have them drying out with a fan on them. So then I transplanted into plastic trays that I think I can still feed from the bottom...they seem happier. 4. I sowed these on March 3. Does growth rate look right? Think they'll be big enough to put in ground/pots outside by mid May? Pics below - would appreciate any/all comments or suggestions.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 33
make them leggy and plant them in deep holes, peppers shoot roots out of the stem when it's surrounded with dirt, it will make the root system grow quickly and help your plant out in the long run

Back