• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

lighting Lighting...agh! I swore I wouldn't post this

Zap me a PM IGG with your addy and I will mail you some 2 mil mylar. I have some left over that I can easily let go of...especially if you only want 5 feet....my roll is 5 feet wide......how long do you want it? PM me information

AlabamaJack said:
Zap me a PM IGG with your addy and I will mail you some 2 mil mylar. I have some left over that I can easily let go of...especially if you only want 5 feet....my roll is 5 feet wide......how long do you want it? PM me information

PM sent.

Question still stand though, I would like a source just for my records or if AJ doesn't have enough ;)

Thanks also, AJ!

imaguitargod said:
AGH!!!!!! The hydroponics store only had 50 feet of mylar for $40 and were out of 25 feet ($20). I only need like 5 feet. They only had high powered sodium bulbs (which would probably blow out my lighting rig). Also went to Walmart (yes, that was the last resort before ordering online) and they had ONE grow light which didn't say how many "k" it was.

So anyone have any suggestions on where I can find a regular bulb at 6500k and some mylar online?

I'm confused you're looking for T12 F40 right?
You can buy cheap ones (2$ each)at any DIY store most of them have the kelvin rating on the box.
You can also put a CFL in the socket for extra light.
HID lights need a mogul socket not a regular size socket.

So what fluros should i use to get ahead with growing my seedlings? i will plant out in the garden once the weather is better.

AJ, your setup is killa, what kind of lights do you use?

Regards

luke

Flex said:
AJ, your setup is killa, what kind of lights do you use?

Regards

luke

Thanks Luke...I use standard 40 watt T12 fluoros in a cheap shop light fixture. In each shop fixture I have a 4100K and a 6500K bulb. I can't remember the exact difference between "cool white", "warm white", but I think the warm white is the 4100K bulb and cool white is the 6500K bulb. Like I said earlier, the color temp and lumen count is on the packaging but not on the bulbs so I mark the color temp on the bulbs with a sharpie...

AlabamaJack said:
Thanks Luke...I use standard 40 watt T12 fluoros in a cheap shop light fixture. In each shop fixture I have a 4100K and a 6500K bulb. I can't remember the exact difference between "cool white", "warm white", but I think the warm white is the 4100K bulb and cool white is the 6500K bulb. Like I said earlier, the color temp and lumen count is on the packaging but not on the bulbs so I mark the color temp on the bulbs with a sharpie...

Thanks for that AJ!

I've been watching this thread for a couple of days, and finally registered to put in my two cents. :)

I've had incredibly good luck recently with a 60 watt CFL from home depot marketed as "Daylight". I picked up a 4 pack of these thinking that I would get more natural light in the house, but alas, they are WAY too blue. But ever the experimenter I put one in a cheap reflector housing I picked up(also from HD) and placed it directly above my peppers about 4 inches above them and they're doing absolutely splendidly.

I also have a 75 watt flood light for warmth and more reddish light coming in at about a 45 degree angle, about 10-12 inches away from the seedlings. the bed is turned 180 degrees every 1 1/2 - 2 days.

habman said:
I'm confused you're looking for T12 F40 right?
You can buy cheap ones (2$ each)at any DIY store most of them have the kelvin rating on the box.
You can also put a CFL in the socket for extra light.
HID lights need a mogul socket not a regular size socket.
LOL, you think you're comfused. I'll go to Home Depot today and look again....

Thaddeus said:
I've been watching this thread for a couple of days, and finally registered to put in my two cents. :)

I've had incredibly good luck recently with a 60 watt CFL from home depot marketed as "Daylight". I picked up a 4 pack of these thinking that I would get more natural light in the house, but alas, they are WAY too blue. But ever the experimenter I put one in a cheap reflector housing I picked up(also from HD) and placed it directly above my peppers about 4 inches above them and they're doing absolutely splendidly.

I also have a 75 watt flood light for warmth and more reddish light coming in at about a 45 degree angle, about 10-12 inches away from the seedlings. the bed is turned 180 degrees every 1 1/2 - 2 days.
Thanks for signing up and adding your two cents. Welcome!

once again if you want the best rate watt/lummen the best is HCFL ...they come in 6400k (bleuspectrum) 4200 (whitespectrum) 2700k (red spectrum) and also 25 000k (purple spectrum) ....and the best for fruiting is FOR SURE 2700k ....i you want to buy some cheap 250w ...just check on ebay store GROW_WRITE pm if you want the direct link

QuebecFire said:
once again if you want the best rate watt/lummen the best is HCFL ...they come in 6400k (bleuspectrum) 4200 (whitespectrum) 2700k (red spectrum) and also 25 000k (purple spectrum) ....and the best for fruiting is FOR SURE 2700k ....i you want to buy some cheap 250w ...just check on ebay store GROW_WRITE pm if you want the direct link
Good one QF. ;)

I bought a 2pk at HomeDepot for like 6 bucks Im sure Loews would have them too. I bet a pet shop would have them but probably alot of ching there (for Aquarium plants)

QuebecFire said:

I don't know what a HCFL is.....will they fit into a regular shop light CF?...one that uses T12's?

Hot Cathode Fluorescent Lamp? Or High efficiency Compact spiral Fluorescent? The former I can find virtually nothing on the 'net about except for a definition of sorts.

The latter I'm fairly familiar with, there are three main "spectrum's" marketed that I have found: Daylight(Very Blue), Bright White(Very, very white), and Soft white (Much more like a standard incandescent bulb, lots of red) I admit I don't know the K ratings on these right offhand, so I'm just going by observation.

QuebecFire said:

Just searched for that store on eBay. Got nothing...can I have a link, please?

Went to Home Depot and 98% of the lights do NOT have a Kelvin rating. Only Lumins, watts, and hours the bulb will last.

I did find some floresent tubes at 6500k (freakin finally)! I'm going to pick them up in a week or two.

IGG, Are you looking at Phillips T12 40 watt bulbs? If you are, all of the ones I have seen have the kelvin rating on the side of the package on one end....along with lumens, hours of life, etc....

Next time I am in there, I will double check but I am almost positive of it...

Omri said:
"Daylight" usually means 6300K/6500K, just so you know.
Ah thanks! Now I know we were saing that 6500k is perfect for peppers, but what about other plants?

AlabamaJack said:
IGG, Are you looking at Phillips T12 40 watt bulbs? If you are, all of the ones I have seen have the kelvin rating on the side of the package on one end....along with lumens, hours of life, etc....

Next time I am in there, I will double check but I am almost positive of it...
I'll keep a look out for those.

Thaddeus said:
Hot Cathode Fluorescent Lamp? Or High efficiency Compact spiral Fluorescent? The former I can find virtually nothing on the 'net about except for a definition of sorts.

The latter I'm fairly familiar with, there are three main "spectrum's" marketed that I have found: Daylight(Very Blue), Bright White(Very, very white), and Soft white (Much more like a standard incandescent bulb, lots of red) I admit I don't know the K ratings on these right offhand, so I'm just going by observation.
The box I got was marked 2700K and they are a very white light. I have two over them over my emerging potatoes.

Im sure Loews would have them too. I bet a pet shop would have them but probably alot of ching there (for Aquarium plants)[/QUOTE]

Duke Energy sent me three $3.00 off coupons for CFLs: a four pack of 14 watt (60 watt) soft white, four pack of 14 watt daylight and 2 pack 23 watt (100 watt) soft white.

It's hard to be sure but it looks like the two 20 watt, 2700K lights put out as much of more lumens as do two 40 watt normal flouros.

Mike

Back