• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

lighting Lighting not cutting it anymore using 2xT8 need advice LED vs MH for my needed application

I've used LED. The lack of heat, beam dispersal, penetration and other specific bands makes it tricky. Its probably better for supplimental lighting. I'd like to see somebody using: http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-Agromax-Pro-Series-150-LED-Grow-Light.asp#

400 ducats for an experimental light is kinda expensive though.

My real vote is more practical - 4ft 4 bulb 6400k T5. Perhaps around 120-150 dollar investment (get some extra bulbs) but I think it would be well worth it.

MHz

here is a comparison of my 3 panels, one is a 50 w, 2 are 14 once (different brand), can you spot the difference? :) Been using 50 wats panels for 3 years (had 3 panels at 50 w but 2 are down due to the drivers gone bad, new drivers ordered though..)
i also tried a 90 w ufo but that made my hole apartment look like we were in to some serious XXX and also the fans in it made me crazy...
50 W panels LED work, 14 wats pretty much don't unless for seedlings and then extremely close to the leafs.

a6302011120517e18a.jpg

4c302011120855f8de.jpg

here you can see the difference between the 2 14 w panels too, the brighter one has a "mirror" background behind the leds.

Wow, I like those lights..... :cool: ........................although I just had a flashback from some awful music from the "70's"............. :lol:

Greg

you should look into a DIY LED fixture. Check some of the Reef forums to get some ideas. I am going to be doing one as soon as I get my order from China in.

Matt I just cant decide. I might be winning $350 bucks tomorrow and I'm very tempted to setup like you did with your grow tent/garage and get the same 600 watt light.

I'm so torn still I really wanted to try LED I found some direct china sellers on aliexpress / alibaba that wills sell me a single unit and I can get a pretty good one for 140-165 bucks with nice 2-3 watt led lights.

I will decide in the next few days.. I love your garage grow setup I want the same now... but it will be in my basement.

I have come to the conclusion that at the lowest temp in my basement at about 66 its a bit to cold to get superhots growing good (really at all) my sweet pepper and
peter pepper have no issues. there popping flowers and once pollinated they take off..

what I did

1: moved my 2 big superhots next to the furnace for the higher air temp
2 moved my sweet pepper into the colder area, it seems to grow faster?
3: planned out a floor plan for sectioning off 4' x 4' grow rooms in the basement.

I just need my startup cash I might be winning from a thing at work, or wait a few weeks for more Christmas money.. LOL... being broke sucks..

One of the main reasons I went with the MH light was the heat. It gets about 20 ish around here during mid Jan-Feb and the light should give off enough heat to augment the space heater I am gonna put in. I havent tested it yet because we have been having some strangely warm weather, but I think at its coldest it will get about 35-40 in the garage. That will be in the early hours of the morning (which will be when I plan to have my lights on).

Good luck on the work thing, Im pulling for ya!

I'm psyched we had a weight loss challenge at work and weigh in is tomorrow morning. I'm a front runner for the win. I'll tell you how it goes.

Back