• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting Lighting Question

Hi all!

I have my first sprouts poking up from the soil in starter pots and I'm wondering about light. Presently I have them under 1 23w cf bulb (Verilux natural spectrum) 1600 lumens. I have another bulb, should I use both or is that too much light? Also is there any reason not to have the light on 24 hours a day?

Thanks!

Plants need a minimum of 2000 lumens/sqft to survive and grow...or at least all of the literature I have read indicated such.  

The light wouldn't be an issue for the plants, but the heat of the bulbs is what can hurt a plant.   Just make sure the temperatures are not exceeding far above 100 degrees for extended periods.  

The best lamps available for indoor  use are only marginally as good as a semi-cloudy day. 

Plants only need 5000 lumen/sqft to thrive indoors.   

I hope that helps. 

millworkman said:
 5k lumens per foot is a TON of light and not needed

I'm simply going off of what I have been told and researched. A 400w HPS putting out around 135 lumens per watt will give you a saturation of 3400 lumens/sqft, and that is often considered the best option for growing a 4x4 area.  

I'm actually impressed and intrigued as to how that plant is doing so well until the little light is has been given.  My plants often became leggy if I didn't get them outside quick enough.  

Most of what people talk about is from research from the cannabis growers.  While they are a wealth of knowledge, it does not copy/paste into all types of growing.

Vex Said: "The best lamps available for indoor  use are only marginally as good as a semi-cloudy day."

That is why I am questioning off season growing indoors and paying for light when we could grow outdoors and pay for heat.  Hoping to have an answer next year by building a small heated greenhouse for starts and seedlings.  Maybe box them in for germination and keep that small area well heated.

Since peppers do not seem to care about day length, they seem like the perfect crop for such a project.

Back