• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

List of the Rarest Peppers

Hey,
I would like to start growing some of the rarest peppers and wanted to make a list. So please list the rarest known peppers so that I can start acquiring seeds.

Thanks

--James

An F1 (2,3,4,5,6) may be the only one of it's kind, never to be seen again.
But as for rare in nature, South American (and islands near) peppers, not cultivated by natives are the rarest.
Remember, they weren't anywhere else in the world before Columbus brought some back to Spain.

There always exists the possibility of a new one being found in the rain forest, or some variety only cultivated in one village on Bali.

The problem with rare varieties is that chile-heads don't let them be rare for long if they are worthy.

But Bootsieb is correct, and I am sure at least 1 new rare variety will be revealed every year, though it takes at least 4 years (2 seasons each) of hard work to come up with a commercially stable new pepper.

Hey,
Thanks for the list... Just ordered some [background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Tovarii and [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Galapagoense[/background]

Still looking for c. lanceolatum... Anymore I should look out for?

--James

The only rare ones are the ones you can't find a seed source for and this will change from year to year. Are you looking for anything in particular like wilds? or jusy anything not common?

I'm mostly looking for ones with neat/different looking flowers ... but the rare/uncommon ones also have appeal. I'll be creating Bonchi's in the near future and Wild's seem to work best. I'm also looking for uncommon hot peppers just for regular growing next year because I love to grow all type's of cool varieties. So if you know anyone that would be willing to do SASE and has some of these it would be greatly appreciated :).

Tovarii are up there...

Galapagoense...

lanceolotum is one I don't see much of...

IE most all of the undomesticated wilds...
Rare ones , are the ones grown now, esp. with the changes I see and crossing.
An F1 (2,3,4,5,6) may be the only one of it's kind, never to be seen again.
But as for rare in nature, South American (and islands near) peppers, not cultivated by natives are the rarest.
Remember, they weren't anywhere else in the world before Columbus brought some back to Spain.

There always exists the possibility of a new one being found in the rain forest, or some variety only cultivated in one village on Bali.

The problem with rare varieties is that chile-heads don't let them be rare for long if they are worthy.

But Bootsieb is correct, and I am sure at least 1 new rare variety will be revealed every year, though it takes at least 4 years (2 seasons each) of hard work to come up with a commercially stable new pepper.
That.
First quote are the often asked for ones.
Bootsieb I agree, so many people get the chillies then it's traits get crossed, becomes harder to find any original ones as they become traded from OP hobbyist's gardens and it's genetics gets diluted somewhat as chillies are so easy to cross.
Pretty much isolation doesn't exist anymore, unless you get a f7 or f8, that strain is gone for good when asking for it years later IMO. Chilli plants cross breed too well.
It's hard to even get a scotch bonnet or bhut right these days.

Back