• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

little black flies?

i've got tons of little black flies hiding in my plants.. i say black flies because they have wings and are black.. i don't know what they are and they are very small. i put my plants out for about 5 days and now they have bugs :|. i need to go pick up a sprayer for my neem, but i thought i would get a post on here before i left for the store to get some ideas..

--edit

i think they could be leaf miners.. this is just a guess from my current googling neem will kick their ass right? :|

Little black flies are probably aphids.

The winged ones look like this

aphidwings_ant-th.jpg

they don't do anything they just sit there.i have sprayed with neem already didn't see much happen other than a huge white spider decide it didn't like getting sprayed.. is there a safe ammount to spray neem i was thinking of doing it again later today..

If it turns out to be leaf miners, the only thing that worked for me was sticky fly traps. Good luck!

I was on the phone the other day about potential over-exposure to neem-based products. (Long story on why)
She pretty much said "just don't drink it."

I've got fruit flies on my plants. They don't do any damage but aren't affected by neem or other traps, except the sticky-tape stuff.

I get lots of those little flies that come from the compost, they don't do any damage but they're very annoying as they're attracted to you like dog poo.

yea i am thinking they are just fruit flies.. and i actually have a couple pods, when i watch them which is hard cause they are tiny, they just sit there... and don't move they look much much smaller than any aphids i've seen they are seriously ? 'tiddly' ? : ).i sprayed with neem and i only see a couple of them now. so.. thanks for all the comments, i appreciate it.

They could also be "fungus gnats" the larva of these can really set back young seedlings as they munch their way through the young roots. They are also pretty hard to get rid of.

If they are around the soil then they are fungus gnats.
A biological control is mosquito dunks.
They have BTi which is different than the Bacteria Thrugiwoesis in the Catepillar powder.
The dunks worked good enough for me not to have to go to a nursery and ask for BTi drops.

If they are not on the soil- place hand on soil, hold plant upside down under sprayer lol :)

ooooh... i'm thinking an infestation of lady bugs will be better than aphids > :). no i think i'm going to construct a crude hoop tent and let the buggers go buck wild on those aphid bastards after a few days tho.. don't want the lady bugs to dislike the neem.. just incase.

Ugh. I got those too, a couple days ago. Planted some new seedlings and BAM!! They are flying around everywhere. -_-

rainbowberry said:
I get lots of those little flies that come from the compost, they don't do any damage but they're very annoying as they're attracted to you like dog poo.

had a lot to r.b but hey seem to attract other pests and im cutting down on some soil types i used and sticking unfortunately to the more expensive stuff :mouthonfire:

I have the stupid fruit flies too. They multiply like a friggin virus!! Since they are inclosed in my aquarium...I see just how many spawn..and it is DISGUSTING! Anywho - im going to get some of those sticky traps as well!

I had a massive outbreak of fungal nats this year. It took months to get rid of them and they did massive damage to my plants at least the larva did. I had to put two sticky traps in each plant and water with a watered down mix of BT every two weeks for two months to get rid of them. But then it frooze so maybe it was the frost that killed the stupid bugs who knows. I know that the kept falling in my coffee extra protien right?

Back