• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics Little Shop of Horrors... (big pics!)

Figured I'd post a couple pics from the lab.
This is the Bolivian Rainbow, this was the first bloom about two months ago-
93.jpg

For the size of the plant it sure can produce! They make a great houseplant. It's just in a 6 inch dirt pot, I haven't seen fit to transplant it into anything bigger because it seems to like it.
94.jpg

For some reason it likes to drop leaves when it flowers- dunno if it just does it naturally or if it's something I'm doing? I also messed up the second flowering- when I left home, it had 55 flowers on it, when I came back a couple weeks later all but about 6 had dropped. Since I took it out of the lab and have it in the living room under a tiny 40 watt light on a 12 x 12 timer, I guess that's what'll happen.

95.jpg

Mean. Evil.
They aren't superhots, but they are EXTREMELY pungent!

Little Shop of Horrors... (big pics, Part Deux!)

98.jpg

I love this plant- it's Hinky resistant©! Fortunately for me this Malawi Birds Eye was the second plant I used to begin dabbling in hydroponics/aeroponics/ghetto bucket gardening. I say fortunately because it really is a hardy bastard- I've let the bucket go almost completely dry, I've messed up and left it in straight tap water for weeks on end, had airpumps go tits up when I was gone for work, and it just takes it all in stride and gets stronger!
Though the plant is 8 months old, I've just recently begun experimenting with a VERY aggressive General Hydroponics nutrient regimen including all of their supplements-
99.jpg

I think it's working out just fine- there is absolutely no internodal distance on the canopy. The growth in two/three weeks on this new aggressive nutrient regimen was astounding. Now, if I can keep her flowers from dropping I'll end up with a hell of a lot more of these-

100.jpg

I have some Bolivian Rainbows just now starting to grow. What do you use the peppers for? I am really looking forward to growing these little jewels

I agree with the pretty one on the other side of the world ;)
The Bolivian Rainbow is pretty and easy to grow in dirt, but the peppers themselves aren't the best that's out there. But, since it's really easy to grow and an attractive plant, I'll keep it around. This one appears very leggy at the moment because I've left it under a low-powered light for quite a while, but the Rainbow appears to have no troubles at all with cleanly dropping leaves when it needs to, and growing them back with no love lost. I'm going to work on cutting this one down to get a nice and compact package now that it's fruiting again. I summered it outside for most of last summer, and we had the shittiest summer I can remember. It's a good beginner's plant!
I'm guessing that one reason they're pretty pungent is that the fruit is mostly seeds! As for what to use them for- I just toss 'em into whatever batch of salsa I might be whupping up at the time, but I've also ground them and mixed them with garlic salt to use as a dry rub.

Hey Hinks you should so bonsai the Malawi after you are done getting pods off it, i reckon it would look even awesomer than it does now!! :)

I've got an overwintered malawi x hab that bent gave me last year - it's about 15cm tall and 50cm in diameter - a nice plant but he put way too much hippy vibe into it when germinating and now it's got the most relaxed habit of any pepper plant I've ever seen - it's nothing like the big bushy plant in Part Deux. nice growth Hinky!

Back