• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Little white bugs on my overwintered plants

I hosed the plant down with some soap/water mixture in a spray bottle....cleaned off a bunch....we'll see what happens. I can't really do ladybugs, as I have this in my office at work. Releasing a batch of ladybugs in the office probably won't go over well.

It will be warm enough in about a month where I can take this pepper back outside and hopefully
natural predators will wipe them out. I'll continue the soap method in the meantime.

If I lose the plant, no big deal. I have 10 new ones of the same variety growing right now
anyway...I had just never overwintered one and wanted to see how big I could grow it and
how well it produced the 2nd year.

Yep Sevin is pretty nasty. I really only like to use it as a last resort and even then it's used sparingly. Ladybugs are the way to go, but they're not really feasible indoors either. You're really kinda limited to soap and water. You'll have to monitor the plant on a daily basis in order to control the aphids.

For me aphids are a constant battle. I rotate between soap sprays, neem or other horticultural oil products, pyrethrum, and my own chile/garlic spray. I also usually go through thousands of ladybugs

since you can't do ladybugs in the office, definitely soap spray. Try alternating every other day between these and you have to spray EVERYDAY or they'll multiply faster than you can kill them.

Day 1: A tablespoon of oil (olive oil is fine, find Neem oil if possible) and 2-3 drops of dish soap, half liter of water, shake well
-This dishsoap breaks up the oil and allows it to dissolve into the water better, it coats the aphids with a light coat of oil, and for an easy way to put it, clogs the aphids pores in there skin which is crucial to their survival, and the exposed aphids will die quickly within a day or less
Day2: A tablespoon of dishsoap with a few drops of oil (same recipe just backwards), half liter of water, shake well
-Basically this will dry out the aphids. suck the moisture from their bodies, and they will die within a day or less
Day3: repeat day 1
Day4: repeat day 2
etc etc

Neem oil is a natural defense for aphids, so if you can find some neem oil it will work even better, but olive oil is a cheap subsitute, might not kill them as fast as a day, but the trick is to do it everyday relentlessly, and make sure you get the undersides of leaves, flowers EVERYTHING, after a week or two they should all be dead, but you can still spray once a week or so for maintenance in case a couple boogers are still hiding like bin Laden

i just got these as well today i noticed last week it was fungus fly gnats, living in the tropics ive given up on organic insecticides because i know there will be somthing eles next so ive upgraded to a full insecticide spray and seasol solution.

Back