• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Little White Flies

Thanks guys for the feedack!

Man, I can't keep them whitefly away. They are killing my crop!! I'm down to just a hand full.

I have seriously tried every insecticide locally available, soap, neem oil - you name it. Ive cleaned each plant one by one (meticulously) and relocated to a new location. And the whitefly just come back. I spray every two days. I spray under each leaf... as I'm like down to a handful of plants... so I can do that now. It works for a day or so and then the F#@$ are back...

My plants tips are just limp and sucked dry and even the green leaves are just dropping at the touch of the hand. If only I could get these babies to growth stage where they have hard wood... I might have a chance... but they are just not giving the chillies a breather.

I could move the chillies indoors... but then I have the problem of giving them sufficient lighting...

I suspect all the spraying is over-saturating the soil as well...

Man they were looking so good

Them whitefly got me good :)

Sorry to hear that, PeriPeri. I'm currently dealing with the little SOBs myself--although my infestation isn't as bad as yours by the sounds of it.

Thankfully I have yet to lose a plant, but that leaf drop.... it just drives me insane! Perfectly good leaves FFS! It makes me want to kill...... :mad:

I'm actually wondering though if the leaf drop is caused by the whitefly themselves or perhaps a result of using too much oil on my plants. I hear that that can suffocate the leaves and cause premature drop too. I dunno, it just seems odd that it's happening to healthy leaves (especially ones that look untouched by whitefly).

Can I ask what you have been using to spray with, PeriPeri?

My white flies always go after the pepper plants and ignore the tomatoes, I used a hose sprayer last year with Diazinon (outlawed in the US I saved some) on my Ficus. This year I noticed a fuzzy little wormlike bug on the same ficus, I held off because they looked like a possible predator. The ficus did not need treatment though the whiteflies eventually found my peppers. I use a softsoap/TS pepper spray, the soapy mix seems to drown the nymphs and the pepper knocks out the flies. It is a pain treating plants every 3 - 4 days until the lifecycle gets broken.

Back