• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Lizards are Gods :D

Rather than use pesticides since I regularly eat what I grow, I trained killer lizards to eat the little pests that would otherwise infest, infect, eat up or kill my peppers. You ask how I did this? Well, I found some nematodes in the ground and started feeding the lizards, I also gave them some brown beetle bugs that occasionally fall in the pool and would otherwise die. Now a days I have numerous lizards hanging around all my pepper plants waiting for a treat and since I’m not feeding them my white fly problem went poof :D

I'm not sure what else they eat but I know they're not hurting the plants, too bad they don't eat the white fly eggs too.

In Dominican Republic and Haiti there are lizards everywhere, and peppers grow like weeds. Must be something to lizards as pest control! :dance:

You're lucky to live in a place with such awesome creatures.

Walk,

I am just a little north of you, and my yard is covering. At tonight i would have 6 or 7 plants with them chilling. Here is one i was able to snap of a shot of.

7355979994_9a7ca24a12_b.jpg

Walk,

I am just a little north of you, and my yard is covering. At tonight i would have 6 or 7 plants with them chilling. Here is one i was able to snap of a shot of. ...

Very nice, did they come on their own or did you lure them in like me? BTW on the negative side, we also have these here too and so far not one gets near my peppers or I'd shoot them :D

6r0rvb.jpg

They come on there own, and luckly we dont have that iguna promblem like you guys do down there. If i am not mistaken didnt just hapenning in the last 4-5 years, or was it after andrew came through.

I also konw they trying to get the boa's out of the everglades, even saw that they have hunting season for them at times.

Yeah, the large constrictors are a major problem in the Everglades. 15-foot snakes aren't unheard of, and they're going after gators and other big wildlife. The kicker is, these used to be vanity pets of the rich in the 80's & 90's, and when the snakes got too big for even the obscenely rich to afford to feed, they released them (which is VERY illegal in Florida), and now they're breeding like rabbits out there.

They come on there own, and luckly we dont have that iguna promblem like you guys do down there. If i am not mistaken didnt just hapenning in the last 4-5 years, or was it after andrew came through.
Nice, have you noticed reduction in bug problem? I sure did ... iguans, hmm can't recall how long now but it's been a long time now (at least 5 or more yrs.). The population gets thinned out in the winter as many die from the cold but the ones that survive will eat plants, luckily I've not had one near the peppers yet. They also dig holes into sea walls and it's expensive to fix :/ ... luckily I'm a handy at outdoor stuff, heh.

I also konw they trying to get the boa's out of the everglades, even saw that they have hunting season for them at times.
Yea that should help fortunately they're in the glades and not east yet ... that said, I don't care much for animals that hurt the local population of ours and don't have any enemies. We also have some import that is east called locally a cuban anole and they eat the local lizards but they're not hard to kill. Unfortunately they have razor teeth and are not afraid to bite people.

I just bought a columbian tegu this mourning. Hope i can train him to hang out in the garden and eat the pest this upcoming season...

I just bought a columbian tegu this mourning. Hope i can train him to hang out in the garden and eat the pest this upcoming season...
The lizards crawl all over my pepper plants hunting for bugs. You do know the Colombian Tegu can reach a length of 3 to 3 ½ feet weighing up to 8 lbs, don't think I'd want one climbing on my peppers, he might cause more damage than good when it matures.

The brown anoles pictured above should be perfectly content hunting within the pepper plants, and the ones in the pics are about as big as they get. I saw them all the time in my mom's garden growing up down here in S.FL, and she never had a bug problem :)

Rather than use pesticides since I regularly eat what I grow, I trained killer lizards to eat the little pests that would otherwise infest, infect, eat up or kill my peppers.

Yes, a feel-good thread!

Yesterday, a colourful ladybug stood out against the dark-green foliage on a Guanajuato pequín plant.

It's good to invite friends over for dinner.

Back