• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Loads of Fruit...Question about Leaves

My pepper plants have exploded in the past month...currently one Savina has over 100 pods of decent size.

I've noticed that some of the leaves are turning yellow and falling off.  One or two leaves here and there, but its made me wonder what is the plant doing during this final phase.

1.  I've observed that they seem to be sucking up a lot of water.  My guess is the pods require a lot of moisture as they develop.
2.  The yellow leaves - my guess is the nitrogen is being depleted.  Do pods use a lot of nitrogen?

Again this is my first year growing and first time in fruiting phase with 100s of pods, so what i've observed and what is reality could be totally different things ;)

I'll post some pics later when I get home.

M

Also, do you guys have any recommendations during this phase? 

It's been a couple waterings since I fertilized.  Maybe some Tiger Bloom, I've been pretty minimal with the ferts the past few months.

M

Its completely normal I guess, at least that happens to me once in a while. Sometimes when plants grow new leaves they get rid of older ones. This is just form my personal experience. Happy growing :)

Thanks for the responses, glad to know it's probably not abnormal.  Really just making sure I avoid any issues that would not allow the peppers to ripen.  Like I said I have 100s of pods that are green and healthy, but I probably only have a few weeks for them to ripen outside.  Fingers crossed!

M

Yep, my Reaper and Ghost are starting to have yellow leaves here in KY.  It has been getting to the 50's at night lately. Maybe a season shift thing?

-

Back