• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Local's 1st Glog - Perth, Western Australia

Hey Everyone,

Quick intro, I'm from Perth in WA. Just bought a house recently so I now have some room to grow.

So I'm relatively new to this, I have only grown from seed once before but mostly just bought seedlings and grown them in pots.

Since I bought my new place I thought that it would be a good idea to plant my chillies in the ground instead of pots, well that was a mistake.

This is about two weeks after the replanting.

5vvc76.jpg

dr6q7b.jpg

21opw4.jpg

3442nvo.jpg

The winter has been a little longer than normal this year but they are bouncing back now with the weather heating up.

I now have all the seeds for this years grow;

- From Chilli Seed Bank
Scotch Bonnet Red

- From Hippy Seed Company
St Martin's Habanero
Butch T Scorpion
7 Pod Yellow
Sannam
Peach Fatali
Antillais Carribean

vxozvb.jpg

Have a budget setup for now to try to get these germinated, My light that I was using to keep them warm died last night so currently they may be a little cool but they are near a window during the day and closer to the middle of the room at night. 

5af1af.jpg

I'll be looking at trying a DWC setup for a few of these plants once they are ready too.

Anyway, I'll keep you all updated as I go.

Thanks again,
Damien

Fingers crossed anyway,

I've been adding a very small amount of Seasol into the water, about half a teaspoon in 4L and about the same with the Epsom Salts, just to keep a very slight amount being applied.

Should I be doing this? or just water them with normal water most the time and feed them every so often with proper dilution?

Seasol probably once a fortnight, the Epsom salts maybe just when/if they go yellowish. I was spraying a weak solution of Epsom salts but on the third spray they got nute burn setting them back two weeks (lucky I grow spares lol) so yeah I'd be cautious with the salts. You can soak a handful of dynamic lifter in a bucket of water and use some to fertilizer plants safely.

I'm gonna water my OW plants with some Epsom salt to hopefully help with fruit set - tips courtesy of Micca - but in future I will only give seedlings one spray when they look like they need it to colour up.

You going to chilli fest at the Ravo? I'm hoping to be there around 5:30 pm I think Micca might be there too, might be a good excuse to catch up and I could give you some plants if you like

So yeah I think I have definitely been over watering the little guys, didn't water them all weekend and they seem to be liking it... That could be the only issue I'm having.

But yeah I may go down... not definite yet but I will most likely know closer to the weekend.

How long should I wait to put them into some more substantial pots? About 3-4 sets of true leaves?

I think I'll go down the budget 'Red Cup' route to save some money.

I went into cups at three sets, but I used clear cups with drainage holes cut in the bottom. I then place the clear cup into a red cup with the water/nutes in it. This worked great for me as I can pull out the clear cup and see exactly if they need water or not. Also cool to see the progress of the roots!

If you do decide to come to chilli fest let me know so I can bring some plants in for you. I have more than I need and some nice varieties I don't wanna throw out!!

Oh that's a cool idea... I might do that too... but yeah definitely will let you know, those plants of yours sound great. is it just on Saturday?

Yeah dude 26th Nov just the one day all day though. There's gonna be a chilli eating comp with spicy food and maybe fresh reapers or scorps. One of the chefs gave me a scorp one night and I was stupid enough to pop the whole thing in my mouth, chew it up and swallow it.. well f**k me had to go to the cool room so I could breath lol. A couple of customers asked if I was crying. I thought it was a Hab as it was an early pod so didn't have the scorp shape lol.

I have a Peach Bhut PL SS, P. Dreadie SB SS, Bahamian Goat, MoA SB, 7 Pot Burgundy etc

I have a few scorpions and reapers in the freezer, haven't been able to convince any of my mate to eat one yet :P

But yeah sounds pretty good... the mrs has friends coming over at night so I might come down early in the day and check it out... I'll confirm it with you before hand though

Looks like you are making progress, LF! Patience is the name of the game
at this stage.  They never seem to be growing fast enough, then they go
bonkers.

PaulG said:
Looks like you are making progress, LF! Patience is the name of the game
at this stage.  They never seem to be growing fast enough, then they go
bonkers.
Thanks Mate,

Yeah at this stage I feel like they've done nothing for weeks, hopefully now that I'm watering them alot less they might show some improvement.

Fingers Crossed :P

Jase4224 said:
Yeah dude 26th Nov just the one day all day though. There's gonna be a chilli eating comp with spicy food and maybe fresh reapers or scorps. One of the chefs gave me a scorp one night and I was stupid enough to pop the whole thing in my mouth, chew it up and swallow it.. well f**k me had to go to the cool room so I could breath lol. A couple of customers asked if I was crying. I thought it was a Hab as it was an early pod so didn't have the scorp shape lol.

I have a Peach Bhut PL SS, P. Dreadie SB SS, Bahamian Goat, MoA SB, 7 Pot Burgundy etc

Hey Mate,

So I should be able to come down with the Mrs on Saturday. Should be good to come eat some spicy food for lunch too.

So yeah whatever you would like to get rid of I'm happy to adopt :)

So small update,

The Mrs planted some sunflower seeds not that long ago that are putting my chillies to shame. They seem to be looking better now that I have stopped watering them soo much, and I'm just putting water in the tray instead of spraying over the top which could be helping also.

I've also bought another light now so they can grow upright instead of towards the light
30vnplh.jpg

But bring on the pics.
2wggd2s.jpg

10s4q2r.jpg

2lbm4yd.jpg

168c17o.jpg

67oc49.jpg

They are definitely growing, watering from the bottom is way better in my experience. Sunflowers are heaps cool I grew them once and was quite a bit of fun to grow.

That extra light should help too, good luck!

Okay, LF, looks like you are off to the races!

Keep up the good work...

been reading here...

I used the jiffy's. As soon as the plant sprouted, I pulled the jiffy and cut the membrane off and then they went into solo cups. In most cases the roots were already pushing through the bottom of the pellet. From that day on I bottom watered, as the Jiffy's have a lot of peat in them, and that makes for some damping off. I use an old "turkey tray", watch when you bottom water to make sure the jiffy pellet doesn't get wet (damping off can occur). If one seems too dry, you can rock the pellet to the side and dribble some water into the soil below it. Doing this solves two problems: Having to transplant, and it really helps with the damping off issue. I use no nutrients until the plant is about 3.5 to 4"s tall. Then I go with 1/4 strength (liquid) nutes, and add slowly until they color up the way I want them too ;)  After I used them a few seasons I started crumbling and then removing the easy to get to remainder of the pellets as they seemed to cause issues later on for me. I lost a few due to rot at the pellet where it contacted the stem. I wasn't over watering, they just stayed too wet as the soil underneath dried.

I hope this info helps :rolleyes:

I have been putting my Jiffys into Fox Farms filled beverage cups
(After removing netting) as soon as the cotys are green,
and have had no problems with damping off.  I weigh the cups to
see when they need water, and remove the sleeve 24 hours after
watering.  They get 3-4 ounces of water/nutes each watering.

A 'dry' filled cup weighs about 240 grams, so I water
when the weight gets down to 250 grams.  Basically the same
nute regimen as Scott.

Thanks for all the advice guys,

Haven't updated in a while, my chillies aren't really doing anything at the moment, very little if not any growth from them, I'm going to chuck them in some potting mix in some cups to see if I get any life... 

The yellow leaves haven't gone away at this stage but at least they aren't getting worse...

Hopefully I have something to show in the next few weeks, if not I'll call it a failed grow :(

Man that sucks, have you tried just putting them outside under some shade cloth?

At least Bunnings sells heaps of great varieties these days, and I still have some plants of you want them.

Back