• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

LOL went to a Mexican restaurant Saturday and....

Asked for some Habaneros. They brought three out on a plate and ALL of them stod around and was absolutely amazed and saying something in Spanish really fast as I just took big bites out them with my meal. They couldnt believe that I could juts eat them like that. I thought all Latinos were brought up with a hot palette.

Not that hot apparently. And not all latino(a)s either. I get called the "gringo chile eater" by some Puerto Ricans i'm friends with. And they have no stomach for hot and spicy foods at all. It would seem the Mexicans will go as hot as a serrano for the most part and thats about it. I get funny looks when i ask for some hot peppers at some of the local taquerias and when they bring out some serranos i then ask if they have any habs.

I've noticed this too. When I was living in Mexico.....errrr....Los Angeles, all the Mexicans had their jaws dropped to the floor at the stuff I ate. Earned me alot of respect.

Same for me here. I laugh when Filipinos tell me that their medium-hot chilies are the "hottest in the world". The Syrian cook who makes my curry still can't believe how hot he has to make it for me. :)

This just confirms my constant argument. I have yet to visit an eatery that can make the food hot enough. The only places that come close are Thai joints and than you're only dealing with Thai chiles. Getting a hab anywhere locally is next to impossible and even the Indian grocers don't carry any real hot chiles.

I have some hope for the Mexican joint near me. I've not had anything more than a mild burrito so far, but they do have good jalapenos, so we'll see.

You're right though. Everyone's supposed world's hottest just does not compare to what we eat. As i type i'm eating a turkey burger stuffed with red hab and yellow fatalii with tian jin powder. It's just impossible to get this from a Latino/Hispanic eatery.

I usually bring my own home made hot sauce to the Mexican restaurants where I live. And I live in one of the world renowned Taco Truck centrals of the USA. Anthony Bourdain just did a SF Bay Area special and even came out to Oakland for the Taco Trucks. None of it's hot enough for me......

Just to reaffirm this a co worker went to a wings place for lunch and brought back the hottest sauce they make. The woman said she has seen grown men cry after eating a wing with this stuff on it. I dipped a chip in it, laughed, and then poured the entire contents on my food. It was a joke to even call it hot, medium maybe.

fineexampl said:
This just confirms my constant argument. I have yet to visit an eatery that can make the food hot enough. The only places that come close are Thai joints and than you're only dealing with Thai chiles. Getting a hab anywhere locally is next to impossible and even the Indian grocers don't carry any real hot chiles.

I have some hope for the Mexican joint near me. I've not had anything more than a mild burrito so far, but they do have good jalapenos, so we'll see.

You're right though. Everyone's supposed world's hottest just does not compare to what we eat. As i type i'm eating a turkey burger stuffed with red hab and yellow fatalii with tian jin powder. It's just impossible to get this from a Latino/Hispanic eatery.

Come to the UK and find a restaraunt that makes Phall curry - the only thing hotter than that is pure Capsaicin extract.

I just love the flavor and spiciness of most Mexican peppers. Many aren't hot enough for you machismo types, but there are habaneros grown in parts of Mexico.
As for the restaurants, I think it would be tough to deal with liability issues if food was served very spicy. There aren't too many people out there like Neil and you other extreme heaters, so I'd just bring your favorite sauce with you if needed.

Badger said:
Come to the UK and find a restaraunt that makes Phall curry - the only thing hotter than that is pure Capsaicin extract.

No don't ........ or if you do bring a naga or 2 to drop in it :hell:

:lol:

I get dissapointed when you order say a thai curry or what not and ask them to make it scorchin. I generally say to them "when you think it is hot enough make it three times as hot". Doesn't work, nobody understands. :cry:

Philipperv said:
Same for me here. I laugh when Filipinos tell me that their medium-hot chilies are the "hottest in the world". The Syrian cook who makes my curry still can't believe how hot he has to make it for me. :)

My old lady is from the Philippines and her dad loves spicy food. I'm growing some siling labuyo peppers for him now. He said they are REALLY spicy and hard to find and would love to have a few plants. I picked a few ripe ones for him and he put them in the sinigang. I told him I didn't think they where that hot and he should add a few more to the soup, he said it would be too hot to eat. I popped one in my mouth and chewed it up and said it would be perfect. He thought I was crazy until he had a dab of my home made hot sauce I bring with me when traveling. I guess your palate only gets used to the amount of heat you eat daily.

Tippy said:

I take it you've hsd some wussy Phall then? The last restaraunt Phall I had was so f**kin hot I might as well have liquidized a load of Trinidad Scorpion and drunk it.

I've been in quite a lot of Mexico and had to eat there, too.

Mexican cuisine is, in general, not very picante.

The most picante food I had was in the Yucutan and it was a ceviche with some kind of chinense and they left it in a dish for you to make the ceviche as picante as you wanted.

In the North, I had breakfast in Monterrey and there was a dish of tepins, both red and green and again, you had to add your own.

What really makes me laugh is the level of heat in restaurant chicken wings. The hottest ones often have some ridiculous names like "nuclear" or "911" but to me barely taste hotter than Tabasco. The waitresses always ask me, "are you sure you don't want any ranch or blue cheese dressing with that?" as if their black pepper-level wings are going to give me an owie inside my mouth. ;)

Scott Roberts said:
What really makes me laugh is the level of heat in restaurant chicken wings. The hottest ones often have some ridiculous names like "nuclear" or "911" but to me barely taste hotter than Tabasco. The waitresses always ask me, "are you sure you don't want any ranch or blue cheese dressing with that?" as if their black pepper-level wings are going to give me an owie inside my mouth. ;)

The only place I had hot wings was at Fat Heads Brewery here in Ohio. They have a "Carribean Killer" sauce that is non-extract, Habanero based sauce that tastes fantastic and gave me an ear ringing rendorphin rush!

Im going to give the guy at the Mexican place I eat all the time that gives me Habs a Scorpion when I get some and tell him its not all that hot. :hell:

Tippy said:

AH tippy...giving da goan sum pain with the new crop are we?

panic.gif

teehee...

Back