• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Look what I found by my house today!!

love mushrooms and to get them on a walk is so much fun but always make sure you no what your picking as some varietys are nearlly identical and can be very poisnous..mushroom hunting is an enjoyable and stomach filling experience..with beer there great :)

I remember a mate told me he was once so hungry that he picked some mushrooms to eat, he didn't have a clue what they were but ate them all the same. I don't know if he was just lucky or plain stupid, bit of both. Here's a site with info about thousands of mushrooms, where they come from and whether you can eat them.

mushroom site

rainbowberry said:
I remember a mate told me he was once so hungry that he picked some mushrooms to eat, he didn't have a clue what they were but ate them all the same. I don't know if he was just lucky or plain stupid, bit of both. Here's a site with info about thousands of mushrooms, where they come from and whether you can eat them.

mushroom site

Gold Tops aren't listed. :(
Unless they have another "real" name?

or blue meanies..... oh the explaining... so son why you walking in the farmers field?.... My excuse was always "looking for golf balls"....lol

i remember when the woodford festival was at maleney ...went to the first 5 & worked for zilch behind the bar...then again i didnt have to buy a drink for 3 days lol....

the local rednecks used to shoot over us while we were out picking. How times change, now Bill Horitz owns the town lol

-for my mate...no cows, he could see the shrooms...of course now he can just sit & look at a wall & watch the bricks come in & out ....well fried.

bentalphanerd said:
Gold Tops aren't listed. :(
Unless they have another "real" name?
Would you be thinking of the "Washington Gold Caps"?

stillmanz said:
lol always one in the group who never managed to grow up and never came down..look out IGG lol.
Hehe, so far the acid flashbacks I have prove to be quite amussing.

Great looking Morels.I used to pick them behind the house in Virginia.Being in florida i have to go with dried...no Morels and few morals here!And those ones in the pasture make you see funny!

Thanks guys, also I do my homework and am VERY leary about which mushrooms I eat. I know how to 100% identify 14 or 15 local wild mushrooms COMPLETELY near here without a doubt. Between messing around Friday until Monday off and on I have a grocery bag full of oyster mushrooms, and about 28 more morels to the list.:D What's funny is we found a bunch of yellow morels in my mother-in-laws front yard of all things:lol:. I'm checking out my good morel spot in the morning after work as well. We found 6 nice big fresh yellows there yesterday after looking for a whopping 5 minutes. Yellows are out BIG time right now and I should be looking as much as possible. After this week I'll be having to wait a year again.;) Here's a pic of what we found today just messing around not even really trying. I found another good deer hunting spot as well. Nothing like patterning them when it's not even near hunting season.

My wife with todays find. Also, I'll be on more later.I'm kind of sidetracked with being in the woods right now...lol!!
05-19-08_2043.jpg

Sorry no pics. I did find quite a few chanterelles today. I sauteed a bunch of those mushrooms and ate those with a sizzlesteak burger with nagasav sauce, pepperocinis, and cheese......YUM!!! Guess I have to go shrooming a few more times this week:lol:

Back