• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Look what I found!

At the end of the summer, I let the tomato end of the garden go. The tomatoes were pretty much gone, and I was short on time. Tonight I was pulling the remains of the lemon basil and other weeds, and I found these!

latetomato4070.jpg

I traced the vine back, and found it was a Tropic tomato. The end where the tomato was broke, but at the base it was still alive. I'm impressed, it survived the August heat, the drought, and several frosts and freezes.

Yes, I will be planting Tropic tomatoes again.

Pam,

Pretty neat. My wife loves friend green tomatoes but I got the last one from the garden last week. I've got to find a way to get her one by Valentine's Day.:whistle:

I have a friend who makes the best fried green tomatoes I've ever tasted. The first year the Tomato Spotted Wilt virus hit, I kept her in more green tomatoes than she knew what to do with!

But, down to more important stuff...what kind of tomato are you growing that is still producing? Is it in a green house? Was it planted last spring and survived the summer?

C'mon, I need details! And possibly seeds.

Pam,

I wish they were still growing. What had happened was a couple of tomatoes had fallen off the vines as I was carrying them to the compost pile. I had gathered up a bunch of tomatoes already, so didn't worry about a couple more. Well, the colder weather worked a charm and kept it both from turning red or rotten. I brought it in, sliced it up and fried it.

I've got to remember to start some next August, September, October and December (about two plants a month).

Do you bread the tomato's like you would fried okra or squash?

I recomend: dredge the slices in flour,then into a light water/egg mixture, and then into a 1/2 flour 1/2 cornmeal mix seasoned with salt and pepper(and paprika and cayenne if you want) pan fry.

We had some green ones left at the end of the season and I brought them in, but they just got mushy instead of ripening. I should have fried them green!

The trick, according to Peg, is to salt the green tomato slices and let them sit for 15 or 20 minutes. Pat them dry, then dip in milk, and dredge in flour or cornmeal.

The salt draws some of the moisture from the tomatoes and keeps them from being soggy when fried.

Thank you for your responses.

I've got about 15-20 green tomato's on my plants from dime size to tennis ball size. First freeze of the season here is coming up tomorrow night. Guess what I am going to have for supper tomorrow night. I will try them both ways.

The wife justs likes them battered with flour, fried, then covered with copius amounts of sugar. Makes it easy to fix! I tried the egg batter and stuff and got admonished for ruining a good tomato.

AJ, I would probably try to dig up a plant and stick it in a container - just in case it works. That's what I did with a hab and ended up with over 100 peppers more than I would have had.

Well supper tonight is Pork Chops, Rice and Gravy, and Fried Green Tomato's. I had more than I thought I did.

tomatospeppers121207001oa1.jpg
[/IMG]

I planted 2 each of Early Girl Hybrid (50 days), Better Bush Hybrid (68 days), and Homestead Heirloom (80 days).

AJ,

Can you air-mail me a few of those tomatoes? My anny is December 26 - our 26th, and the wife would be thrilled to have FGT as part of the meal!

Mike

I would be delighted to Mike, just send me an address and I will get them off to you if you are serious. They are not big tomatos but will gladly send a bunch to you.

AJ,

I was half way joking - I know Linda would love some FGTs. But I suspect that they may not survive the temps they would be subjected to in the transport process.

Sorry about taking so long to reply but that 3-letter bug seems to have nipped me. I've felt like crap but still had to work today. It was so nice to be able to call in sick, especially when I really was.

Mike

Back