• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Looking for a good tasting super hot for my woman

Alright guys, my woman has been intrigued by peppers since getting with me (seriously, hot foods run in my family), but she's not so sure about the super hots--she damn sure isn't even going to consider eating one of the butch t's I have in my fridge right now. She wants a really good tasting hot pepper, preferably one of the yellow strains of the various super-hots which are known for that citrus-like flavor.

So, considering I've never tried any of the yellows, what would you guys suggest for her to try? I know some of you have experience with multiple types, which one should I go for (and hopefully manage to find)? She's not liable to try eating the pod out-right (at least, not at first), but she'll definitely put it to work in the kitchen. Also, bear in mind, hottest she's ever eaten was a chocolate habanero.

As a side note: Growing isn't an option as we lack the yard to even consider planting them ourselves.

Totally agree with starting with the yellow family of peppers.

Datils have wonderful flavor that blends well with fruit and jellies. The heat is easily adjusted by the ratio of fruit to Datil.

The Peach Habanero has a great mid level heat with smooth, lingering flavor.

If she's wanting a superhot then definitely a Yellow 7 Pot. They have one of the best flavors out of all the superhots and their heat (for me anyway) is on the low end of the superhot spectrum. If she doesn't mind something more in the habanero range or a little hotter then a Yellow Fatalii would be my vote.

+1 on the yellow CARDI, although they aren't exactly super-hots. I guess fatalii isn't even a super-hot anymore but around the same heat as the choc. hab she ate and very citrusy

Yup...1st Datil, 2nd Fatalii, 3rd Yellow TS. Datils to me are like little bursts of Florida. Wife liked them and she is more of a fan of less than hab heat peppers. Oh but you did say superhots...hmm

She's just going to have to try several in separate portions of the same dish to decide which she likes, and in different dishes that may be a different pepper too. Also remember you'll get a bit different flavor if the pepper is roasted (any method that raises it significantly above the temperature water boils at when simmering food) so the sugar in it caramelizes.

+++ for fatalii and peach habs! then a 7 Pot-

Back