• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Looking for a little advice or tips for fertilizing soilless potting mixes

So I'll be transplanting some babies soon. They will be going into one gallon black nursery pots. Then into sevens. The soil will be pro mix bx. The plants will be outdoor grown in the west central Florida area. I was thinking of using dyna gro grow and dyna gro protekt. I'll start with 1\8th strength every other watering.

I am wondering if this sounds good. What are other people using as far as ferts? Also do I use the grow and protekt at same time? I plan on fertilizing every other week. Am I on the right track?

Any help or ideas or tips would be Ggggggrrreattttt.

Bud

Hey, you took my advice to go with Dyna Gro, good job!!!!! You will be more then happy with that. Yea use both at the same time, it should tell you further in detail in on the bottle. I am using Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Grow.

Do not fertilize every other week, fertilize evey time you water, but light. You water with just water here and there. In pro mix there is no nutrients. Hold off on fertilizer more at the end of the season. I think the protekt you use only 2 times a month but I could be wrong.

Yes I may use those. Just looking for a little more input. So use the grow every watering. And the protekt just twice a month?

Do you think 1/8th strength will be ok? Or should I eventually up the dose?

Thanks.

"And the protekt just twice a month? "

What does it say on the bottle? If it says every watering then use every watering 1/4 strength.

"Or should I eventually up the dose?"

Yes

If you fertilize every time you water then it is good to use the lower strength.

Ever think about using a time release fertilizer? Depending on amount of pots and free time you have it could benefit you. That is the route I am going. You have a long season, and it might save you some hassle. I used promix and hydro ferts last year. Things worked ok but could have been better. I will use promix again this year because it us readily available locally. I feel it is quite overrated though. You may want to doctor it up a bit.. extra perlite,compost,castings,etc.....

If you did not get dyna gro yet I must say you do not have to. If you really want you can use Miracle gro just make sure you get some gypsum for Ca and Sulfur. The tomato water soluble is good or even the bloom booster 15-30-15.

I think Oscamote Plus or Miracle gro shake and feed tomato continous is a good choice for slow release fertilizer. They are better becasue they have S,Mg,Ca some very important macro missing in the soluble fertilizers.

I'd like to not mess with the soil. I messed up last year adding things to soil. I figure if I use straight pro mix I can factor the soil out as a problem. So I would need some kind of fertilizer.

I'll have probably 20 or do pots. The plants will be at my girlfriends parents home. I live in a apartment with no yard. So some of the watering/fertilizing will be left to them.

What kind of time release ferts are you familiar with?

Bud

I think Oscamote Plus or Miracle gro shake and feed tomato continous is a good choice for slow release fertilizer. They are better becasue they have S,Mg,Ca some very important macro missing in the soluble fertilizers.

I posted this right as you were posting so you might of missed it. Miracle-Gro Shake 'n Feed Tomato, Fruits & Vegetables it is called. A very good choice.

Peppers aren't real hungry for the usual NPK ferts that most plants thrive on. You can use something in the 5-5-5 range with good success. The one thing you want to make sure of though is calcium. Peppers and tomatoes go through that stuff like I go through chocolate. Find one you like and follow the directions for timing but you can probably get away with using it at 25% strength. The slow release ferts have their advantages but it's real hard to correct for any deficiencies and easy to go overboard.

Pro Mix HP has a few more "goodies" in it than the BX plus it contains more perlite for a lighter mix. Roots love that oxygen.

Best of luck to you brewmasta.

With the time release method I just mix in the dose it says with the soil and let them go? When the ferts time is up do I need to take plants out and remix the sOil with more fert? Sorry I'm a total noob and I like to be sure and know what I'm doing.

Thanks for the help

Peppers aren't real hungry for the usual NPK ferts that most plants thrive on. You can use something in the 5-5-5 range with good success. The one thing you want to make sure of though is calcium. Peppers and tomatoes go through that stuff like I go through chocolate. Find one you like and follow the directions for timing but you can probably get away with using it at 25% strength. The slow release ferts have their advantages but it's real hard to correct for any deficiencies and easy to go overboard.

Pro Mix HP has a few more "goodies" in it than the BX plus it contains more perlite for a lighter mix. Roots love that oxygen.

Best of luck to you brewmasta.

+1

Patrick the thing with the hp is that water is a issue sometimes. So I don't want to have to worry about watering multiple times a day during the hot summer. If they were in my yard I'd def get the hp. Watering wouldn't be a issue then.

What ferts would you recommend? Mind you I will not be adding compost or casting. Just the promix.

If you will not be around to water sometimes then go with Miracle-Gro Shake 'n Feed Tomato, Fruits & Vegetables. It will tell you how much to use in the mix.

Back