• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Looking for a sweet (hot) pepper

All right. After seeing a list of how many peppers there are out there; as a rookie, it's overwhelming with possibilities. Not sure how to search for what I'm looking for aside from polling the pepper community.

Here's my plan. I intend to make a hot sauce with a couple of sweet fruits. Specifically, cherimoyas and/or star fruit. I'm trying to find some peppers that would be best for a sweet flavor.

If anyone knows what works best with a cherimoya or a star fruit, even better. But so far, I have the following suggestions from the wonderful community here:

- yellow Fatalii
- Jay's peach ghost scorpion
- MoA scotch bonnet

The hot-ness of the pepper be damned; if it works best with the fruits mentioned, then so be it.

Also, as a complete rookie, what is standard procedure with acquiring peppers? It doesn't seem like you can go out and buy exotic pods. It seems to me that one must grow their pods.

I'd honestly like to buy the pods first before I would commit to such a venture (just to see if it's a right fit for me), but it growing ones own pods not such a big deal?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Funny you asked this. I made a carambola-clove sauce with Ají Lemon Drop last year that was the bomb. All of the pods you mentioned would be good, though.

And yes, as it happens, you CAN just buy exotic pods. I do mail order of fresh pods, as do a few other THP members. Although my grow is year-round (down in Miami), my strongest season runs from roughly October to April. My advice would be to look in the vendor vault and read up on anyone you consider buying pods from, and maybe ask around.

If you decide to get into growing, let me know. I can help walk you through the basics so you can avoid the mistakes most of us made when we first got started.

Burleson - Texas?

I could probably fill a small flat rate box with fresh pods for you to try.

Including at least one of each...
Yellow Fatalii
Red Fatalii
Red Moruga
Bih Jolokia
Yellow Brain Strain - or is it an Orange 7 Pot?   ;)
Aji Angelo
Bishop's Hat
Brazilian Starfish
Inca Red Drop
Aji Pineapple
And maybe the last CAP 267 pod of the year.  (These things are about my more favorite pepper at the moment. I think they'd work well for your needs.)

PM me if interested!

Don't discount the pubescence! manzanos would be fantastic as would the old stand by Jalapenos. Though not pubescence, are still Kick A$$ for fruit concoctions.

Scotch bonnets will not fail you, and would also be one of my top 3 choices.

If I were to pick 3 I would go with Jalapenos, scotch bonnets or brown morugas (with reservation).

Back