• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Looking for a tasty hot pepper without the citrus flavor

Looking for a tasty hot pepper without the citrus flavor. I've been trying to find a certain post I read last summer. Someone had a great list of peppers and their flavor/heat. I wish I had saved it. Can someone help a noob out?

Chocolate hab, chocolate bhut, chocolate 7. Get the theme. Too me most superhot reds and yellow have a citrus flavor .

Most chinenses and a lot of baccatums have a citrus flavor imo. So maybe chiltepin/pequin, chile de arbol, cayenne, tobasco, malagueta, piri piri, mirasol, super chili? They have a more earthy flavor.

I agree with Romy too, the chinenses he listed don't really have a citrus flavor.

If you don't like the superhots you could try the peppers used for Mole sauces... anaheims, poblanos, pasillas, etc.

go with C annuum like Cayenne, tabasco, bird's eye, jalapeno,
you might also want to try some Bishop's crown for a very nice and different flavor! (but not too much heat in there)

+1 on the annuums. I find that they don't have the same citrusy flavor that the chinense and baccatum varieties have. They tend to have a more... I dunno 'peppery' flavor haha. Also +1 on the chocolate chinense varieties. They have a unique flavor that a lot describe as earthy.

of all the annuums listed, I think the superchili rates hottest or maybe a birds eye....I know the super-chili rates about 80K SHUs and is very prolific...it is one of my standards...I grow it year in and year out...

+1 on the super chili... They are sneaky hot,grow good in containers or ground and don't take up a ton of space. Another Annuum I grew was hot Portugal. They aren't super hot but they are very tasty.

I've been trying to find a certain post I read last summer. Someone had a great list of peppers and their flavor/heat. I wish I had saved it. Can someone help a noob out?

I found some of the older threads on flavour in my watched topics list:I found more via an advanced search for any of the keywords taste, tastiest or flavor in topic titles under Hot Peppers.

Thai hots come to mind. Also Manzano/Rocotos. Since you specifically mentioned "citrus", they are not. However, they do have some sweet to them. Plenty hot, though.

Back