• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Looking for a thread about girlfriends/partners not liking hot foods?

Hey all,

So I haven't been online for a few months and I thought this to be quite rude of me!

There reason I'm back is because I've pretty much given up on trying to convince the Mrs to eat more hot food. Now don't get me wrong, she will eat moderately hot food...but to me it's just mild and isn't enough!

If I remember correctly there is a thread on THP where people were discussing the issue of their other halves not liking the heat, so I guess what I'm asking for is for one of you wonderful people to direct me to said thread (if indeed it exsists)! I have had a search but I would think that I'm just not looking hard enough.

If not, how many of you have the same problem with your partner, and how do you get around it without cooking two totally seperate meals?

Thanks, Matty :)

Yup, my wife likes things mildly spicy, which equates to 0 heat for myself. I've learned to deal with it and to just add the heat to my own plate after it is cooked. When we go out to eat, she is kind enough to keep a 1 oz shaker filled with superhot powder in her purse. My only gripe is I wish she would branch out and try different ethnic cuisines. There are a few local places that will add some decent spice to your dish, but they are indian and thai/vietnamese places. She isn't so keen on trying either types.

Yup, my wife likes things mildly spicy, which equates to 0 heat for myself. I've learned to deal with it and to just add the heat to my own plate after it is cooked. When we go out to eat, she is kind enough to keep a 1 oz shaker filled with superhot powder in her purse. My only gripe is I wish she would branch out and try different ethnic cuisines. There are a few local places that will add some decent spice to your dish, but they are indian and thai/vietnamese places. She isn't so keen on trying either types.

Hey modder, thanks for the quick reply...
It's not so much that she wont eat different types of food, as I've given her much encouragement ;). She doesn't and isn't willing to eat hot food often enough to build up any kind of tolerence which is a shame!

My wife is pretty good about eating spicy stuff. She uses liberal amounts of sauces on things, and will add hot sauce to most salsas... so there really isn't a problem there. I don't go all out when cooking for us.

My mom on the other hand, really doesn't like spice. On occasion, I will make a soup or some chili and take it to my parent's house for dinner. I am very careful not to add a lot of spice to the stuff I cook for her. [my dad loves spicy food...] I figure we can always add sauce or crushed/powdered pepper.

I am not a big fan of onions [I know, I know... I keep trying to like them...] and my mom is considerate enough to leave onions out of the food she makes when I come over. So I figure the least I can do is add some spice individually.

Some people just aren't cut out for spice, and it can totally ruin a meal for them. I would say that if it is too much trouble to cook a separate dish that has more or less spice in it, add the spice afterward. I realize it doesn't cook in as well, and the flavor won't be quite as good, but I think it is better than making her suffer through a molten meal. :)

Just my $0.02, as it were.

Here is the thing. I don't believe you should be looking for her want to be at the same level as you. You are lucky enough in my opinion, that she is cool with your obsession with all things hot. Looking for her support is one thing, but if she just doesn't want to up her tolerance, I wouldn't push the issue any further. I know how it is, wanting to share your experiences with your girlfriend/partner but I'm sure 90% of people that like hot stuff like we do, have girlfriends/partners that don't like really spicy food and a bunch that don't even like spicy food at all.

I think you should just be happy that she likes it kinda hot and that she supports you in your hobby. That's what should really make you happy, I think. If you want it hot, keep super hot powder around at all times and use it at will. You can bring fresh peppers with you as well. I bring hot sauce, powders and peppers (well at least one of the above) every time I go out. No one likes it spicy like me....so don't feel bad. You are not alone..lol.

@3/5 king

Don't get me wrong, I very much appreciate that my chilli obsession is supported by my better half! I just want her to see that hot food isn't as terrible as she thinks!
And believe me, it makes very me happy that she's willing to try differing foods :) as you said, I am lucky and I'm not looking to push it any further...hence why I asked what others do to hot up their food in ways that don't affect both persons meals.

I think I better make myself some powder to carry around when we are out...that is if my lovely lady will allow the use of her bag. I don't fancy the risk of a load of super-hot powder exploding in my pocket! haha

@westin

As if you don't like onions ;) I for one, absolutely love them :drooling:

Thanks to both for your opinions

Here is the thing. I don't believe you should be looking for her want to be at the same level as you. You are lucky enough in my opinion, that she is cool with your obsession with all things hot. Looking for her support is one thing, but if she just doesn't want to up her tolerance, I wouldn't push the issue any further. I know how it is, wanting to share your experiences with your girlfriend/partner but I'm sure 90% of people that like hot stuff like we do, have girlfriends/partners that don't like really spicy food and a bunch that don't even like spicy food at all.

I think you should just be happy that she likes it kinda hot and that she supports you in your hobby. That's what should really make you happy, I think. If you want it hot, keep super hot powder around at all times and use it at will. You can bring fresh peppers with you as well. I bring hot sauce, powders and peppers (well at least one of the above) every time I go out. No one likes it spicy like me....so don't feel bad. You are not alone..lol.

Just make sure you wash your hands thoroughly, and repeatedly after using the powder...

You might cause your storage space in her purse to dissapear if a bit of heat comes off your hands at an inopportune moment...

I have this picture in my mind of you reaching over to brush the hair out of her face, and leaving a trace of pepper powder on said hair, which travels back onto her face, and into her eyes... (30 minutes later) she comes out of the bathroom, damp, messed up makeup, and sans your superhot powder...

Matty, I feel your sorrow. My hubby and son just aren't eating the heat that I like. But you are on the right track.

Funny thing is, as much as they complain about me adding heat to a meal, they complain if there is no heat in a meal.

From my experience in making salsa, 25% of the buyers of our fresh salsa buy the MILD variety (ZERO hot chiles of any kind). It's literally tomatoes, onion, green pepper cilantro, spices.... not a single hot chile. So your better half is not in the minority, you are.

Our dinners usually entail 3 different heat levels. I take out the first portion for the kid, add a little more for the hubby, and then jack it up proper for myself. It's just the way it works. I also pick out green peppers to serve to hubby, and I eat all the broccoli. :cool: it works for us~~~

We take a little keychain pill bottle of dried hot chiles with us in my purse, and a dropper of capsaicin drops. I got a little keychain thing from peppermania.com for the dried chile powder and it been great to just bust it out at the restaurant and spice up my plate, and more times than he'll admit, hubby has asked for some superhot powder for his curry etc.

Bottom line- she's not on your heat level yet, but don't write it off. Get some yummy, low level hot sauces for her to enjoy and she will lose the fear and love the flavor of hot sauces. Then she will embrace the heat.....

There is also the thing I'm attempting to do to my parents *chuckle*

I've been making them hotsauce and hot pepper powder for about a year... When I first started out, ALL I had growing were Jalapenos, orange habs, walmart cayennes, and one other... all locally available as plants...

this meant two batches of powder, and pepper... One hot for me, and one mild for them.

So when I first started making these things I only used Jalapenos so that it wouldn't be too spicy for them... one time I didn't have enough jalapenos, and it was buy more (heresy), or use other peppers... So I added a bunch of smoked cayennes to the mix... they raved, they loved it, even though it was moderately spicier... any way, over the next few months I started working my way up the pepper food chain...

NOW I spike the habanero powder with superhots... I get the occasional complaint, but "thats the best flavored sauce you've ever made".

There is also the thing I'm attempting to do to my parents *chuckle*

I've been making them hotsauce and hot pepper powder for about a year... When I first started out, ALL I had growing were Jalapenos, orange habs, walmart cayennes, and one other... all locally available as plants...

this meant two batches of powder, and pepper... One hot for me, and one mild for them.

So when I first started making these things I only used Jalapenos so that it wouldn't be too spicy for them... one time I didn't have enough jalapenos, and it was buy more (heresy), or use other peppers... So I added a bunch of smoked cayennes to the mix... they raved, they loved it, even though it was moderately spicier... any way, over the next few months I started working my way up the pepper food chain...

NOW I spike the habanero powder with superhots... I get the occasional complaint, but "thats the best flavored sauce you've ever made".

That is great! :) I have been taking my bhut jolokia powder to my parents house for meals [like tortilla soup that we had over there tonight!] and spicing things up with it. My dad has started eating some of it too, but is very very careful about how much he adds. He likes hot stuff, and usually has some Melinda's Scotch Bonnet sauce on the table at about every meal he eats... but he goes sparingly on most things. Granted, he is the one that got me into spicy foods... but it turned into more of an obsession in my case. :)

That is great! :) I have been taking my bhut jolokia powder to my parents house for meals [like tortilla soup that we had over there tonight!] and spicing things up with it. My dad has started eating some of it too, but is very very careful about how much he adds. He likes hot stuff, and usually has some Melinda's Scotch Bonnet sauce on the table at about every meal he eats... but he goes sparingly on most things. Granted, he is the one that got me into spicy foods... but it turned into more of an obsession in my case. :)

My family on my moms side is originally from spain, we have alot of family recipes that call for jalapenos and so forth. my dads side of the family came from Ireland by way of canada, HOWEVER they spent almost every summer in Mexico. They grew to love jalapenos in their food as well.

Neither of them had ever really tried any other peppers besides Jalapeno, and the nearly obligatory can of cayenne pepper powder in the spice rack.

When I decided to grow hot peppers, I first bought what the local big box had (homey depot) which included habaneros... I had no idea what to expect when I ate my first one...

Thought I was going to die.

Eventually started making a salsa (for lack of a better term) out of smoked habs... Eventually they became relatively tame, and I started searching for what other kinds of peppers were out there. When she heard about my search, my Mom said "the only peppers that exist are jalapeno, cayenne, habanero, and Bell". Not easily dissuaded my search lead me to Gardenweb, bhuts, and a number of other varieties, and finally to here...

I may not have 3 trillion varieties like smokemaster, but I'm working on it *chuckle*.

I may not even keep seeds for every variety I have this year (for instance I received a pod in trade - beseters cherry, tastes metalic - strongly disliked). But I would like to have at least tried every pepper variety, one day.

Wash your hands in chlorox even if you had gloves on.This I cannot stress enough.......
....or you may need to repair some dry wall or a head board.

No I am NOT KIDDING. :fireball: :shh:

I agree 4-d-blink-dude..... green bell peppers suck! (jmpo)

but that's not the same as chiles. And liking green bell peppers is a personal taste, just like some people like bleu cheese and some don't.

Chiles have flavor AND heat. And they have a multitude of flavors and a multiude of heats.

Wow .. loved this thread .. different point of view
I personally love cooking hott stuff like for my brothers and my dad. I like spicy food but I am curious as to how high my tolerance is to heat ..
first I love to see a man eat .. its awesome .. second eating my hot spicy creations even better .. lol Hope my boyfriend/partner can hack it!!
For now my brothers are the testers ..
That's just me .. I guess its my personal reason and my interest in growing hot peppers and growing hotter stuff than Habaneros.

By the way loves the thread !!!
(My 2 cents ) lol
~ Sassyhott<3

Back