• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Looking for hot sauce recipe for choc habs and apples

Any body out there ever made a hot sauce using either chocolate habs or jamaican hot choc with apples in it? I'm thinking of making a sauce in the fall featuring fresh apples from my favorite orchard and some of my home grown chocs.

What kind of apples are you growing? If they are a McIntosh or Jonathan type soft&tart apple, I would use a little bit of white wine vinegar, sea salt, and some lemon juice. Depending on whether you are going for a super-fruity or a savory background, you could either use an apple-pie spice blend (cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, etc.) or more of a bite using tarragon, dill, etc.

In my own personal sphere of sauce-making, I have experimented quite a bit, and have found that minimalization of ingredients is best, so if you decide to use spices to accent the pepper/apple flavor, use care in selection, because some spices, even in small amounts, can drastically mute the pepper/fruit flavors of a sauce. Depending on your harvest volume, you could do small batches, and experiment with each one, and fine-tune the spices and other ingredients until you find a balance.

Too, it depends on whether you are going to eat it all to yourself, or whether you plan on sharing with friends/family, or selling it. If you really like spices, go all out until you find the perfect balance for you, but if you plan on giving it to other people/selling it, I would downsize the spice content to appeal to a greater variety of people.

Whatever you decide upon, good luck with the recipe! Sauce-making is a lot of fun, and is like a home chemistry lesson everytime you go at it!

Thanks hendrix and justaguy! I'm gonna go through an incredible journey testing my ideas. Hendrix, I will probably see what the best apples are at the time my chocolates are ready, hopefully a good sweet variety! It's my first year, so I'm sure I'll have a few failures before I get a sauce I'm happy with. Thanks again, Pete.

No problem, I always like to be able to offer some assistance if I can, or rather, a different perspective to help you come to a comparative evaluation of your own course of action :D

I've always wanted to try an "apple butter" type sauce for BBQ pork loin and chops. I say go for it. And add some ground clove or allspice.

It's my first year, so I'm sure I'll have a few failures before I get a sauce I'm happy with. Thanks again, Pete.

pepperchef, I'm sure with your culinary background you won't have fails. Maybe a couple "meh"s along the way before you get the "WOW", but I doubt they'll be "fails". :)

I gotta say that all your help is much appreciated. I'm starting very small, 4 plants to be exact just to find out if these are a pepper I wanna continue to grow. I'll go very small batch and do some extensive flavor tests, then decide if I wanna go in a different direction at that point. All trial and error once I have decent pods.

Back