• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Looking for: hot sauce recipe made with orange crush soda

I did a search on here and didn't really find a recipe so I googled it and got tired of looking through trash..., but does anyone know of, or has made a hot sauce using orange crush soda?

This won't be a sauce I'm goin to sell or pasteurize (maybe) - I just have a large amount of Caribbean red habs and wanted to make a sauce with orange crush in the ingredients (just think the favors will pair well)

You guys got any recipes or ideas for me?

ive used fresh orange and other citric juices - atleast if its natural citrus juices it should work well in many combinations of sauces and dishes - but a carbonated soda made out of artificial flavourings and colorants might not combine well. just try a small batch and see if you like it or not.

we dont have crush here so i dont know what its made out of - but if its the same as this wiki link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crush_(beverage) its not natural.

I'm not really sure why but that actually sounds pretty good

wouldn't any orange flavoring work as a substitute? like Kool-aid?
hmm.. or fresh squeezed orange juice to avoid seltzer bubbling hot sauce
might give you gas.

Thanks guys, I'll look into the OJ or other citrus juices as well as try an experiment with the orange crush.

Well the reason I am interested in trying to make it is we had eaten at a cajun restaurant on vacation and the owner made an orange crush habanero hot sauce (of course I asked him what was in it and he just smiled and said, "orange crush and maybe some habaneros, haha".----->funny guy, but not helping :hell: The sauce was delicious but was not carbonated at all or had that kind of taste, so what I'm guessing is that he boiled the soda down into a reduction

to be added...? I'll give it a good college try and let you know what I come up with gents.

boil down any orange crush type soda into a syrup for that flat orange sweet flavor

IMO basically if you add corn syrup & orange kool-aid /Tang flavored powder
and canadian dry seltzer you would have the same thing.... orange soda.

so take out the canadian dry seltzer element and no need to boil anything.

Orange Crush would probably work - I'm not sure about all the chemical crap they put into it and how it would react to being pasteurized, but really you're talking about water, sugar/syrup - and sweet + hot = 1/2 to what you need in terms of heat/sweet/snappy/salty.

I'd be a little concerned about high fructose corn syrup only because I hate that stuff, but that's my personal preference.

I second those who suggested fruit juices instead. Good luck! :cheers:

I'd make a sauce with the peppers, and add a little bit of orange crush or pureed oranges. Enough until you can smell it in the sauce through the peppers. Want to make sure the soda blends and cooks with the sauce. Oranges would probably taste better, not sure how orange crush would taste after being cooked, lol.

Back