beer Looking to try growing hops

and brewing my own beer,
it seems i have to get rhizomes. not seeds or are theyre seeds?
i am a complete rookie in this area, and any tips or advice or instruction would be awesome. i will be growing hops and brewing beer soon.:!:

You want to get Rhizomes as it will guarentee the sex of the plant (like pot, you only want females). Also, the older the root the better (try to get a 2 year old + root).

imaguitargod said:
You want to get Rhizomes as it will guarentee the sex of the plant (like pot, you only want females). Also, the older the root the better (try to get a 2 year old + root).

speaking of pot...the hop plant is in close relation to the cannibis. furthermore, the oil extracted from hops during a brew boil impart a mild sedative. but have no fear, hops aren't illegal....YET! :woohoo:

Noshownate said:
and brewing my own beer,
it seems i have to get rhizomes. not seeds or are theyre seeds?
i am a complete rookie in this area, and any tips or advice or instruction would be awesome. i will be growing hops and brewing beer soon.:!:

additionally, hops are fairly easy to grow. iggy can attest that my plants are starting to die and shrivel up, but the hops at the top keep growing! ha, with luck i'm sure i'll be able to get some type of harvest outta her! following the idea of using home-grown hops for brewing, you will never really know the exact alpha % you are imparting to your wort. however, i'm sure a regular ol' ball-park for most strains will suffice...maybe try using it as dry>aroma>taste hopping rather than bittering off the bat. i.e. figure out the potency of each crop b/c it will change year-to-year, crop-to-crop, etc. but yeah, you basically just plant, water them, and provide a vine to grow on in an area with plenty of sunlight (most strains), and they grow like weeds!

Fr0tran said:
speaking of pot...the hop plant is in close relation to the cannibis. furthermore, the oil extracted from hops during a brew boil impart a mild sedative. but have no fear, hops aren't illegal....YET! :woohoo:

Tea made from the hops work as a sedative/sleeping aid. Let 2-4 of the cones soak for 10-15 minutes in a cup of boiling water and drink. My mom freaked out when she tried this - she did not expect it to effect her as much as it did. I never tried myself, mom destroyed the plant...

So... Has anyone tried to smoke hops?

The chemical is called lupilin. you can also throw a few hops in a muslin bag and put it under your pillow case and it'll help you fall asleep.

imaguitargod said:
The chemical is called lupilin. you can also throw a few hops in a muslin bag and put it under your pillow case and it'll help you fall asleep.

what if you're using that bag to throw over someone's head to suffocate them (i.e. robbing a bank, etc.)? will lupilin help sedate them? :) thnx.

Fr0tran said:
what if you're using that bag to throw over someone's head to suffocate them (i.e. robbing a bank, etc.)? will lupilin help sedate them? :) thnx.

Nah, the adrenalin rush will counter act the lupilin. :lol:

MrArboc said:
Tea made from the hops work as a sedative/sleeping aid. Let 2-4 of the cones soak for 10-15 minutes in a cup of boiling water and drink. My mom freaked out when she tried this - she did not expect it to effect her as much as it did. I never tried myself, mom destroyed the plant...

So... Has anyone tried to smoke hops?

waste of hops

Fr0tran said:
that sounds like a dare, harry!

no, it's a waste of hops

imaguitargod said:

another waste of hops

Fr0tran said:

a waste of hops.....unless you use the $ to buy hops.

millworkman said:
So it works really well as a sleep aid? I may have to try this.

waste of hops.

Noshownate said:
i need rhizomes?! im assuming. then i need a brewing station. firs rjhhizome will they grow in south west florida?

You should probably count on buying hops for the first couple of years.

First year rhizomes will produce enough hops for a really weak pale ale.

All you need to start is: a fairly big pot, a fermentation bucket, an air lock,

grain or extract, hops, yeast, water, a little luck.

took out "the".

SORRY! try now.

They are now taking orders for early 2010 shipping.

Aussies grow hops, so south florida should be OK, although I have heard of concerns with light there.

cheezydemon said:
You should probably count on buying hops for the first couple of years.

First year rhizomes will produce enough hops for a really weak pale ale.

All you need to start is: a fairly big pot, a fermentation bucket, an air lock,

grain or extract, hops, yeast, water, a little luck.

ya, i'm with cheezydemon on that one. i've been brewing for 3 years, and i just planted my first rhizomes this summer...i wasn't even going to bother, but someone was clearing land, and iggy brought them over for free. :lol:

In the brewing world, hops are a great topic of debate, hops come in many varieties and usually distinguished between flavour(bitterness) and aroma. Unlike pepper growers, where you can eat a hot pepper outright, use it in cooking, pickle them or make a sauce, the beer community just has the end result to work with - the beer (and they usually have to wait 30 days before trying it for the carbonation to take effect). Now, beer can come in many flavours and that is what they work towards.

When I did brew I used northern brewer, cascade and saaz - no I didn't grow them, I purchased in a sealed bag from a brewing supply company. I am lucky with our local water quality - mountain freshness, just another item to consider when brewing.

Also, what kind of beer do you plan on making? (light lager, lager, ale, draft, stout, strong etc). It would be a shame to want to make a Miller clone, something you could pick up at your local gas station for $3.00 a six pack.

I have made a couple varieties of stout, lager, ale and my favourite flavour was a strong beer variety. A strong has a nice amber/redish appearence and quite a smooth flavour, similar to a cream ale.

Today I just make wines, grapes come up from California (many varieties), I have a crusher and a press to help me along. Also, I make a cherry wine from a local cherry that grows here called a nan-king cherry. What a beautiful presentation it makes at Christmas and the flavour along with turkey just seem to work together. (Now I am salivating).

Back