• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Looking to try new Hot sauces

Looking for some good hot sauces to try, i personally like hot sauce on my burgers/fries and especially pizza. So sauce (Or multiple sauces) that would go good with these foods would be great.

salsalady said:
25% has ZERO heat/Mild  [it literally has NO hot chiles at all...]

I didn't even know that could be called salsa w/o peps, I bet it's good though but I'll take the real stuff.

So really people want diced tomatoes and onions and that's it? It is like a pico sans jalapeno?

yep- veggies and spices.  I suppose technically it does have "some" peppers in it from the spices I use, but it does not have any jalapeno or habanero like the rest of the flavors.  Kinda crazy, but it's true that 25% is just veggies and spices. :shrug:

edit-I'm still waiting for the market to change, for the day when no Mild salsas are sold because every one has upped their tolerance and is actually eating Medium.....and then I can stop making Mild salsa......

still waiting........

The day is here I think, it probably has a lot to do with the age of your average customer and your remote location. Older, being set in their ways, just guessing they may be older. I'd expect those results as well, I think. So Scovie is the only extreme customer? lol... and extreme is habs.... ;)

:lol:  Scovie usually gets the Hot.  A few times a year I'll make a couple XXX hot tubs, either with Pure Evil, or with some superhots...I dunno where they go, but someone buys them.  I've had a couple people tell me the Scorchers aren't hot enough, so I make the Special Editions occasionally. 

I do see some minor variances from store to store as to where people eat hotter and where people eat milder.  Even in the original area of Skagit/Whatcom county (where we first started selling the salsa) there were certain stores that sold more Mild and some that sold more Hot.  The same has carried over to here in the Methow.  The Carlton Store sells more Hot and Scorcher, Glover Street hasn't ever sold a Scorcher.

I did a special tub for Scovie and hogleg with just a little 7Pots in it....;) ....

OK! just realised we are way off topic, so back to other sauces that can be ordered on the InterWhebz!  :D

Add a little kick to the mild and see what happens... I bet you'll get a good reaction. It's something you could do as a test and not try to get people to step up to medium... just up the mild, but not say anything, as a trial, just a tad of heat and see the reactions/sales.

I probably could do something like that.  I have to admit that the heats from batch to batch are not consistent.  But chiles from batch to batch are not consistent, so it's kind of a moot point. 

I just think they will appreciate the extra heat/flavor as long as you tell them it's mild... it's when you try to sell them on medium they get scared. It's in their head.

The Hot Pepper said:
I just think they will appreciate the extra heat/flavor as long as you tell them it's mild... it's when you try to sell them on medium they get scared. It's in their head.
 That's true!  As long as they BELIEB it's Mild....

Definitely in their head. You would be surprised how many people freak out at the markets at my mildest, and trust me it is just cholula hot. It is kind of funny always have to have water on hand for a select few
Or to add a little heat and a bunch of flavor you could add fooled you jalapenos or numex habaneros

Scuba_Steve said:

That is my only complaint with LDHS.  Compared to others, I think the heat rating system is a little off.  I know that is very subjective though.  When I opened up the pink label, I was expecting to get my ass kicked more than I did.  Instead I found it to be a great every day sauce that I could apply fairly liberally. 

Im not saying this in a bad way by any means.  I am just saying that when I do reorder, I won't buy anything other than black and pink label. 

:cheers:

As you said, quite subjective. 

I do my best to rate my products for the "average consumer palate".  At my farmers markets and festivals, and at product demos, I get a pretty wide spectrum of society. In that light, based on that "average" feedback, I feel my product ratings are quite fair for all-natural products. 

To a chilehead, knock all my sauces down about 1 notch. 

With so many thousands of sauces on the market, the spectrum for what defines a "hot" or "extra hot" is all over the map.

So I erred on the side of conservative ratings - to a chilehead, my sauces aren't crazy hot by any means.

But that all said, if all you order is Black and Pink, I think you're missing out on some very tasty sauces., I get that you want fire, but there's so much more to a hot sauce. Brown and Dia are medium, and two of my best sauces. Green Label might be my most unique sauce next to Black, and I sell a ton, even to chileheads - and that's my mildest.   ;)

Jutty said:
Check out High River sauces. They only have about 4 or 5 different sauces but they are done right. Amazing flavor and a good amount of heat. My personal favorite by them is Rogue which is a scorpion and blood orange sauce, and their FooFoomaMaChoo which is their reaper sauce. All excellent imo.

Agreed, though Tears of the Sun is my favorite from High River. Love that sharp flavor. Foo is a close 2nd. 

You hit the nail on the head Scott. The palate of the every day consumer is much more on the light side of heat.

Your sauce are flavorful and everybody should be trying them. Enhancing food is amazing. Burning the mouth can be as well, but to me not at the expense of the flavor of my food.

Many folks here on THP are here because they are in that small percentage of people that are extreme chileheads.  Those of us out there in the trenches slinging sauce know that the majority of consumers are mild/medium-heads. 

Most of my family's favorite sauces are mediums.  We eat the heck out of LDHS green and Dia, Tears of the Sun is a little spicier but we still like that one.  One of our all time favorites is (formerly DavezFoods) Seafire Sweet Spicy Girl!  Evan and I tasted it 6 years ago at a NW chileheads potluck, he and I looked at each other and said "That's GOOOD!"  We got 3 bottles from Dave that day and have been hitting him up at least once a year ever since.  And it's about a 3 for chileheads.  We go through about 6-8 bottles a year not counting the ones I give away, use as samples at the hot sauce classes, include in boxes for our troops...

which reminds me.....I gotta get ahold of Dave PRONTO!  We're OUT!

Burns and McCoy said:
fooled you jalapenos

My fooled you was my hottest jalapenos last summer. There would be a few duds but then all of a sudden get one that just lights you up. I would make poppers and tell everyone they have no heat (you know, old folks and kids) they was all making dramatic reactions so I tried one. Hot little buggers. 

Either my seeds got mixed up or they can just be hit or miss. Was hotter than my xalapas jalapeno. 

Chile Pod roulette when eating poppers is always entertaining!  :lol:

Actually been loving the brown label on my steaks and ribs. ive eaten it with chicken a few times but man i am stuck in my ways with ketchup and chicken so its hard. Ill probably be ordering the box set in the next couple of weeks. Mortgage and everything comes out at the same time so sadly i have to be responsible till then.

rkempston said:
Actually been loving the brown label on my steaks and ribs. ive eaten it with chicken a few times but man i am stuck in my ways with ketchup and chicken so its hard. Ill probably be ordering the box set in the next couple of weeks. Mortgage and everything comes out at the same time so sadly i have to be responsible till then.
 Being responsible is such a darn drag. I wish I would have won the lottery so I could have an island and ignore everybody.
salsalady said:
Chile Pod roulette when eating poppers is always entertaining!  :lol:
Salsa lady it can be. I know this one time I asked for a jalapeno to be grilled for me. When I bit into it and I can promise this. It had to have been as host as a darn Ghost Pepper. I was miserable for a solid 45 minutes. This is coming from a person who eats habanero peppers like candy. There is a conspiracy with that jalapeno somewhere. 

Back