• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Losing battle with aphids

For mass extermination, I've used a pyrethrin based bug fogger with decent results.  Mist the plants very lightly, from below when possible.   Repeat every other day or so.  Don't worry about killing them all at once, too much spray may damage the plant.  The pesticide breaks down within a day or two, so you avoid killing any lacewings, lady bugs, etc. that might arrive later.

I've heard good things about azamax with aphids, i'm using it now for spider mites, seems like it does good. I got no aphids in veggie garden but I do in flower beds so maybe it's keeping them at bay in pepper garden

Do you think the ladybug in the tent idea will work on fungus gnats?  I'm trying to dry my pepper plants out, guilty of noob overwatering :)

But I'm not sure ladybugs will eat the fungus gnats.  Anybody have any luck with that?

Mike

Do you think the ladybug in the tent idea will work on fungus gnats?  I'm trying to dry my pepper plants out, guilty of noob overwatering :)

But I'm not sure ladybugs will eat the fungus gnats.  Anybody have any luck with that?

Mike

mlittle74 said:

Mike

Mike
I had a  fungus gnat problem and believe it or not , all i did was put up those yellow sticky strips...in two days they would be covered with the gnats! Simple but effective. 

Im currently trying ladybugs for my aphid infestation...i released a couple of hundred of them inside my greenhouse, although the next day i have no idea where they went as it was enclosed, but anyway two weeks later, there are a few ladybugs on each of my plants and have checked under the leaves and now there are ladybug eggs...ill let u no in a week if the larvaes are doing there job!

Fungus gnats are winged and will not stay put long enough to sallow a lady bug to devour them. Fungus gnats are a whole different set of problems usually corrected by the grower and some sticky fly tape.

Lady bug larvae are the greatest, as long as the numbers are there to eradicate the problem before pupation time comes.

Good info thanks.  Update, I bought 300 ladybugs off Amazon just to give it a shot.  They're were only 5 bucks and I think 2 bucks shipping.  The surprising thing is they survived on my doorstop from about 1p to 6p when I got home from work.  It was 95+ degrees the whole time and I kid you not, every lady bug walked out of the netting when I cut it open.  Tough chicks.

I put them in a spare bathroom with the plants and shut the door.  I think it helped, but after a couple days there were still gnats so I just took them all outside and let them really dry out.  The ladybugs stayed on the leaves so it was easy to get them out of the house.

mlittle74 said:
Good info thanks.  Update, I bought 300 ladybugs off Amazon just to give it a shot.  They're were only 5 bucks and I think 2 bucks shipping.  The surprising thing is they survived on my doorstop from about 1p to 6p when I got home from work.  It was 95+ degrees the whole time and I kid you not, every lady bug walked out of the netting when I cut it open.  Tough chicks.

I put them in a spare bathroom with the plants and shut the door.  I think it helped, but after a couple days there were still gnats so I just took them all outside and let them really dry out.  The ladybugs stayed on the leaves so it was easy to get them out of the house.
Try this next time.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/55244-aphids-thrips-mites-pretty-much-whatever/

3c0a4d59-943d-484e-acbc-12ce5de9c3f8_300.jpg
water-pouring-tap1-200x200.jpg
dawndishsoap225.jpg

Best, easiest, cheapest, safest solution I have found. Eight bucks on a pump sprayer at wallmart, water, and a teaspoon of dawn sprayed on the entire plant, getting under the leaves with the wand really well. I did this for about three days in a row then one week after and haven't seen an aphid since.

Student of Spice said:
3c0a4d59-943d-484e-acbc-12ce5de9c3f8_300.jpg
water-pouring-tap1-200x200.jpg
dawndishsoap225.jpg

Best, easiest, cheapest, safest solution I have found. Eight bucks on a pump sprayer at wallmart, water, and a teaspoon of dawn sprayed on the entire plant, getting under the leaves with the wand really well. I did this for about three days in a row then one week after and haven't seen an aphid since.

If that works for you, great.
But many of us have been there, done that.
It don't work and harms foilage. Plus it does not kill eggs. Compound that with a large indoor grow, wasted time and futile attempts and it is a recipe for getting wiped out.

CAPCOM said:
If that works for you, great.
But many of us have been there, done that.
It don't work and harms foilage. Plus it does not kill eggs. Compound that with a large indoor grow, wasted time and futile attempts and it is a recipe for getting wiped out.

It did work great, saved my plants.... so yeah, great. lol.
Many of you may have been there done that, but I have read here that some of those had success with it, it was here where I came to for help with that problem and found the solution. So the statement "it don't work and harms foliage" obviously is only your opinion because it worked for me and didn't harm foliage; and as it may not kill eggs, following it up with additional treatment to kill any that hatch before they can lay eggs again really seems to make sense. Compound that with I was just giving a suggestion so obviously if you have some large indoor grow don't go spraying as you would outside. But thanks for being the authority :dance:

Whoa, there is no need to go on an offensive rant. I am simply stating dawn and water sprayed on pepper plants is nothing new and many have tried it and came to the same conclusions I have stated . And if it was such a great aphid killer, these threads would not be ongoing.

But dont take my word for it, just wait till Nov - Mar when everyone in the cold states have their indoor starts and over winters going.

Roguejim said:
Aphids ravaged my crop last season.  I used pyrethrins and permethrin.  Wore myself and my wallet out.  Still, I couldn't eradicate them before my plants were tore up by the organic sprays.  This season, 4 days after plant out, here came the aphids.  I used the product below in April-single application.  No aphids since.

https://www.ortho.com/smg/goprod/ortho-flower-fruit-vegetable-insect-killer-concentrate-garden-insect/prod10610009

but... but.... monsanto.

I now have the strangest desire to put lady bugs and aphids together with a web cam.

On the matter of spraying the plants down to rid it of aphids, I think I know why that advice is given over and over and people do not think it works.  It has never worked for me indoors.  Nor do a lot of the other methods people list.  Outdoors, it works like a charm for me.  I think what happens is indoors, they survive and hop right back on your plants.  Outdoors, they find something they prefer to munch on.  I think the same is true of the many different organic solutions.  They make the plant taste bad, but if the bugs have nothing else to eat they stick around.  If you are outdoors, they have a world of better tasting plants.

Never had a problem using soap and oil two or three times a year. Bringing them inside last year was one and done. Hard water is probably causing any burns, most insecticidal soaps have a warning on the bottle. 30ppm out of the tap hehe

Anyone try alcohol?

Not so much as a "Fucking aphids, I'm getting drunk", more mixing iso and applying. Supposedly works well to dry out bug eggs.

CAPCOM said:
Whoa, there is no need to go on an offensive rant. I am simply stating dawn and water sprayed on pepper plants is nothing new and many have tried it and came to the same conclusions I have stated . And if it was such a great aphid killer, these threads would not be ongoing.

But dont take my word for it, just wait till Nov - Mar when everyone in the cold states have their indoor starts and over winters going.
I wasn't much of a rant, just addressing your points, offensive....barely but only my opinion.

It seemed as if you were more than simply stating, it was stated in more of an "I am the authority" type way,
..."If that works for you, great.(passive aggressive? dismissive? ) But many of us have been there, done that. It don't work and harms foilage. (authoritarian statement?) Plus it does not kill eggs. Compound that with a large indoor grow, wasted time and futile attempts and it is a recipe for getting wiped out."  

So, I apologize if I said things that may offended you, I do love my sarcasm personally. However it seems inappropriate to;
1. Say that it does not work period, When it does. It may not have for you but just because of that, I shouldn't share that information? I received that info from this board THP!! One of the first things that brought me here was to read about those nasty little aphids. That solution had been used my many I read about with good success. I initially tried using a spray bottle thinking small and held spray bottle but it was annoying, the gallon pump sprayer worked sooo much better. So why would I not want to share this information? I never implied it was new, its been around longer than this board. dissemination of information my friend, its how we evolve. Yeah yeah I said the evil "E" word lol.

2. see number 1. :clap:

Student of Spice said:
I wasn't much of a rant, just addressing your points, offensive....barely but only my opinion.

It seemed as if you were more than simply stating, it was stated in more of an "I am the authority" type way,
..."If that works for you, great.(passive aggressive? dismissive? ) But many of us have been there, done that. It don't work and harms foilage. (authoritarian statement?) Plus it does not kill eggs. Compound that with a large indoor grow, wasted time and futile attempts and it is a recipe for getting wiped out."  

So, I apologize if I said things that may offended you, I do love my sarcasm personally. However it seems inappropriate to;
1. Say that it does not work period, When it does. It may not have for you but just because of that, I shouldn't share that information? I received that info from this board THP!! One of the first things that brought me here was to read about those nasty little aphids. That solution had been used my many I read about with good success. I initially tried using a spray bottle thinking small and held spray bottle but it was annoying, the gallon pump sprayer worked sooo much better. So why would I not want to share this information? I never implied it was new, its been around longer than this board. dissemination of information my friend, its how we evolve. Yeah yeah I said the evil "E" word lol.

2. see number 1. :clap:

dude...you being defensive over nothing and are kind of being a snatch  ;)

mlittle74 said:
Thanks very much for the info.  I checked the pest sticky, but will try this next time I run into a problem :)

M
I think you might be a little overly concerned about the gnats. They tend to be more of a nuisance than an absolute threat to the plants, unless left unabated, I suppose. Mosquito dunks in your watering can, and sticky tape alone will keep them in check, although there might always be a few flying around. So what. I have them every season because of the bagged potting soil I use, which must be laced with gnat eggs. I panicked my first season, but now, I use the mosquito dunks, sticky tape, and a 1/2" layer of perlite on the soil. With all that, I always have a few buzzing around.

Back