smokers low down on pellet smokers?

Stick burner means you are burning wood, not pucks.  ;)

Hey what is in those "bisquettes" besides wood chips? It should list the binder as an ingredient. Make sure it is all vegetable based or you are burning chemicals.

Definitely liking the bisquettes better than pellets. Just took a look. Says collagen is the binder, hopefully that is it, and no chemical adhesives.

Yeah, no chemicals in them and the smell of the smoke and taste of what ever you smoke with them is true. I mean no off scents or taste. Like I said I mostly use it for peppers and once in a while I'll smoke some fish in it. Still have some bottles of Smoked Haba-Peno sauce if you'd like to try one Boss :)

The Hot Pepper said:
Stick burner means you are burning wood, not pucks.  ;)

Hey what is in those "bisquettes" besides wood chips? It should list the binder as an ingredient. Make sure it is all vegetable based or you are burning chemicals.

Definitely liking the bisquettes better than pellets. Just took a look. Says collagen is the binder, hopefully that is it, and no chemical adhesives.

So why exactly do you like "bisquettes" better than pellets?  Pellets have zero binders.

Call me crazy but I'd rather use compressed wood chips than compressed saw dust. But, like I said, neither used either. Used wood chips of course, so that's why I'd choose briquettes first.

queequeg152 said:
i know the pellets are costly, so there is that...but i love to tinker and im wondering if this thing couldn't use some .

Pellets actually arent that expensive...
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2791332
i picked up a 20lb Cherry pellet sack at Ace Hardware over a year ago and still have 1/4 sack remaining.  Pellets put out a substatial amount of concentrated smoke from what I have experianced. Depending on what your smoking (weight & time) and how much smoke flavor your looking for will depend on how much to use, but a little goes a long way. I have one of them Brinkman electric smokers I use for butts, shoulders, fish. And say for an 8 hr smoke you only need to add about three small handfulls, once at start, middle, and end. I initally used the wood chunks but they went fast and i think they put of a burnt taste. If I'm grilling burgers or steaks I use the classic weber kettle and i through a small handfull on the hot coals before puting the meat on and it works great. The first time i did this i put a little to much on the coals and my neighbors came out to see if my house was on fire. I'm far from an experianced smoker but i really like the pellets and have had good results from them. Pick up a small bag I think you will be impressed with them

Ive also been looking at this
http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8
you can do some searches on youtube, but I think it would work great on any grill for cold smoking.

I have a traeger that I got as a house warming gift.  To be honest I would have not bought one if I had to pay for it.  They are now made in China and the burn barrel will not last.  I got a new traeger under warranty since the powder coating on the inside of the barrel was peeling off after a month of use.  A month later the same thing happened.  Traeger got wise and only sent me a new barrel (the warranty info is on the hopper not the barrel so they didn't want to send me anything else in case this one failed).  

I took out the standard temp controller and made a custom one with a SYL2372.  This isn't mine, but here is what someone did:

http://pelletheads.com/index.php?topic=17679.0

I've spent a lot of time evaluating pellet smokers over the years (Traeger, MAC, Memphis Grill, Green Mountain, etc). This is not a comment on a particular brand, but on the group as a whole. Pellet smokers are more like a wood burning convection oven than a true smoker. They cook well, but only impart a slight smokey flavor. They're great if you only like a gentle smoke flavor on your food. Many who buy these ask, "Where's the smoke?" Then they spend all kind of time tinkering with temps, the auger, trying different pellets - even buying after market smoke enhancers (like the Smoke Daddy) - all trying to increase the smoke flavor. This is why you don't see a bunch of them at the BBQ competitions, and if you do, they're likely hot-rodded to bolster the smoke.

If you'd rather have a full range of smoking possibilities (light to heavy), you're better off sticking with offset smokers, barrels, eggs, WSM, etc - which use real wood. Pellet smokers are fine for their convenience if you like the light smoke flavor they impart. They may be perfectly suited for smoking peppers. It's also harder to switch between different woods in a pellet smoker, as you have to unload the hopper.

Some argue the convenience of pellet smokers makes it worth it alone. Just push a button, dial your temperature and wait. But, I know many who have had plenty of problems with their augers breaking, hopper clogs, temp/thermostat controls, and you really have to keep all those bits clean to keep things working properly.

The Hot Pepper said:
No I am saying part of the process for me is tending the fire and dealing with the inconsistencies that come with smoking, seeing flames, dealing with temps, smelling sweet blue smoke, drinking beers, instead of "set it and forget it" sawdust pellets and some smoke flavor. I enjoy the whole process and not the manufactured method.

So let's not even get into electric or gas. ;)
Good for some restaurants, but it spoils the backyard experience, in my opinion. Unless you just like to go inside and forget you are smoking something and watch TV.
Agreed there is something about tending the grill, its like tending the fireplace in the house. It keeps you active and busy.

The Hot Pepper said:
If you want a North American made (non-cheap Chinese metal) pellet smoker get the Louisiana Grills Country Smoker TG-300.

Pretty much everything else is Chinese, even Traeger.
This is untrue. I have a Yoder YS480. It is American made, here in kansas. They make 3 levels of pellet smokers, 480, 640 and the 1500. They also have a full line of stick burners.

My yoder puts a traeger to shame. It is built sturdy out of 10 guage welded steel.

As far as smoke output, the fuel burns alot cleaner so the smoke is not as thick, i get a light blue plume out of my stack.

nQ43B8C.jpg

OkFc8Kf.jpg

I've smoked everything from the usual ribs, chicken, brisket and pork butts to pizza, mac&cheese, cobblers, cheesecakes, stuffed mushrooms and all types of appetizers.

I know you stick burners are partial to your process, but as a pellet smoker, i put just as much work into prep and cooking as the next guy. I can still sit outside, next to the smoker, with a cooler of beer and have a great day :).

I have a bunch of pics of my succulent meat i will upload to imjur and post in a few minutes.
Here is some of the stuff i have smoked:

Brisket~flat on bottom, point on top
LJeNHyI.jpg

Burnt ends and ABTs
bbhNVJM.jpg

Pork butt
UtYZXVC.jpg

Bologna
AmhAqsu.jpg

Mac&cheese
S50ZWOh.jpg

Breakfast casserole
ZnowUUU.jpg

Stuffed mushrooms
fCt71Re.jpg

Desserts
U4Oe17G.jpg

Salsa
nKydjXf.jpg

BuFZbZH.jpg

crazyheat said:
For cold smoking I use a 12" A-Maze-N-Tube smoker. When I fill it all the way with pellets it will smoke good for 4 hours.
6oBkHn5.png
QdyngBt.jpg
lJeX99Z.jpg
uaxcIQe.jpg

I have one of those tube smokers as well, works great for when I want to cold smoke my peppers before dehydrating.  I have not tried cheese, or anything else yet.

Ok ok I see a lot of pellet pooper bashing!! First nice Yoder!!!!! Crazy heat !! I've cooked on Yoder rec tech and traeger, all do an excellent job!!!! My traeger texas kicks ass if you own a traeger go to savannah stoker and talk to Billy about purchasing his new pid controller it bolts in to old wiring and fits perfect allows control of temp pellet auger and can be controlled from your iPad kindle etc.
They retail for 180.00 this controller blows away all the others amazing!!!! I've done minor mods to control heat and smoke loss sans lava lock gaskets!! A little more money but still cheaper than a Yoder! But I love Yoder so hold your comments :evil: anyone who says they don't get enough smoke from pellet poopers is full of sh#$! What kind of smoke y'all looking for you must be licking ash trays.
Never had an issue with lack of smoke!!!! Maybe it's the operator not the equipment!! Higher heat you cook on less smoke produced check your temps!! Tubes are great for cold smoking or adding smoke if you're having lack of smoke issues :ROFL:

And don't preach to me the superiority of your unit they all work well sometimes it's the cook not the cooker!
Pellets verse and compressed wood chips really we're debating this totally ridiculous they are all the same except binder required for compressed wood. Bla bla bla. Silly chili head's!! :)
Crazy heat awesome looking Q MY MAN YOU'VE GOT SKILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let's not turn this into a he said she said bullshit competition!! Not everyone can afford a high end smoker I've seen comp level Bbq from a upside down ceramic flower bot and electric charcoal starter!!!! Once again sometimes it time in the saddle and not the horse that makes a good rider!!
I've cooked in many types of cookers all have the benefits and problems. Use what you can afford and adapt! No need to step on toes or point fingers because someone uses a different smoker than yours!!!!
Anyone having trouble with their traeger just let me know will help with low buck mods! :)
Bbq is about community so let's not forget anyone can produce great Q with practice!
Would love to own a fleet of cookers but Heather wants to kill me already lol
Between ferments covering every available space in kitchen porch and she'd filled with grills and smokers and her bathroom being used as grow room I'm skating on thin ice! Lol
Now let's play nice or ima gonna get all gangster up in here!!
samity-sam.jpg

Hey gadget how's that for a block of text. Lol

That pellet bashing was 2 years ago. I'm more accepting of different smoking methods these days. :D

That Yoder looks badass!!! They make great stuff.

The Hot Pepper said:
That pellet bashing was 2 years ago. I'm more accepting of different smoking methods these days. :D

That Yoder looks badass!!! They make great stuff.
Got that right boss!! :) I paid 600 for my traeger would have had to shell out another 1000 clams with shipping on the Yoder just don't have the ching!!
Check out rec tech great cooker as well!! Malcolm Reeds favorite is the Yoder though!! :)
Yeah I see that post were from 2013 oops
so+embarrassed.jpg

Ya'll will have to forgive me for posting in an old thread. Saw this one so I didn't want to start a new pellet thread.

I understand about the finance deal, I have several friends who have traegers and they all put out some pretty good Q too!

crazyheat said:
Ya'll will have to forgive me for posting in an old thread. Saw this one so I didn't want to start a new pellet thread.

I understand about the finance deal, I have several friends who have traegers and they all put out some pretty good Q too!
Hahaha Hahaha Hahaha jokes on me my friend just love love love BBQ tend to get salty fast when people put out bad vibes. Down the road will sell off a few big cookers and add a Yoder just have to finish 20 other projects first! Lol Malcolm Reed swears by them, and i have researched them very well and top notch at still a reasonable price.
Though a couple other models have my interest as Well looking for a full rotisserie style love the way the Q comes out. Cooked on my buddies American something or other can't remember the model but the Q it produces amazing!!!!
Cheers

Back