• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

LST for pepper plants - is there a point to it?

For all those who may not know: LST (Low Stress Training), is when you use strings, wires and/or sticks to "bend down" your plants into a horizontal flat shape. This way, light reaches the entire plant (not just the top) for bigger harvests. Shose who grow "medicinal herbs" sometimes do it. The lack of responses suggests to me that this isn't common or doesn't make sense with peppers. (From my experience, peppers don't have the problem that only some fruits on the top would get large...so I guess we can assume that LST isn't a thing there)

I think you have to ask yourself what your main objective is with LST.  
We don't product leaves and flowers, we produce pods.  Ideally, we'd only use this in an indoor environment, because the sun is too harsh for unprotected pods.  We would ideally use this with plants that are more vining in nature. (as is done with tomatoes, and yes I do)  And we'd want to consider the effort/reward ratio of doing such with a plant like peppers.  I think this is the point that you'll get consistently stuck on.
The growth habit of peppers doesn't exactly favor LST.  Between the harder, and woodier branches, and the way the branches fork, and the slower growth rate of peppers, than other nightshade family plants.  Tomatoes - particularly indeterminate varieties - are a shoe in for this method.   Especially in the space restricted growing environment. (horizontal growing is a hallmark of greenhouse/hothouse tomatoes)
I can't see this being a great method for our plants, but I'd be interested to see someone do it, in the name of science.  

Back