• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Lucy & Katie - a question

Hi All,

I've been looking around into the 7 pot world to see what's new (at least to me), and while I am growing the Lucy, I just came across Katie - hadn't heard of that one.

A quick search here provides some bit's and pieces of info but I do see a claimed SHU rating that puts it on par with "the hottest". Is anybody growing the two and care to make a personal comparison not only in terms of outright heat, but flavour ?

Also, I understand that Lucy and Katie are the same parentage but crossed in the reverse order to one another. From a genetics point of view, is there any real advantage to doing this? I would be happy of someone simply pointed me to a website to read up on, or otherwise offer educated opinion here is they want to.

Thanks and Regards,

Tim

The Lucy and Katie are great peppers.  There are reports coming out of the UK that the latest Katie generation was tested at 1.56M Avg SHU, with the Lucy sitting around 1.3-1.4M Avg SHU.  Nick hasn't released the latest generation seeds yet so the numbers are a little lower for most of us growing them this year.  The Lucy has one of the most brutal throat burns we've ever seen, but really doesn't have a great taste.  The Katie is actually a little lower on heat (again, not the latest gen) but has one of the best flavors in a superhot pepper.  

We actually have both varieties available so let me know if you want to try them. We're shipping them everyday in SFRB boxes.

Ignite said:
The Lucy and Katie are great peppers.  There are reports coming out of the UK that the latest Katie generation was tested at 1.56M Avg SHU, with the Lucy sitting around 1.3-1.4M Avg SHU.  Nick hasn't released the latest generation seeds yet so the numbers are a little lower for most of us growing them this year.  The Lucy has one of the most brutal throat burns we've ever seen, but really doesn't have a great taste.  The Katie is actually a little lower on heat (again, not the latest gen) but has one of the best flavors in a superhot pepper.  

We actually have both varieties available so let me know if you want to try them. We're shipping them everyday in SFRB boxes.
To add to Stephens post .. This time last year Katie was declared the UK's hottest chilli at 1.590.000 scovilles. At a Chilli Festival earlier Nick had given Matt Simpson from Wiltshire some Katie and Lucy seed. Matt grew Katie by stressing throughout the growing period. Having seen a programme on the TV some eight years ago which also stressed plants the results showed an increase in heat. Denying Katie water pretending to be a predator ripping leaves of the plant Matt believed heat is a natural defence against being eaten. In some publications it is said that he shouted at the plants. Lucy was tested at 1.359.284

I am sure Nick will not mind me publishing these photographs from his chillies galore forum - growlog 2014

Katie F4 fully mature

Lucy F4 fully mature

Fyi:

Tests were done on the Lucy, at Warwick University, on a randomly selected batch of 10 pods. They scored a whopping 1,359,284 Scoville Heat Units. Some pods would have tested higher, some lower. It was an average result.

The Katie, was also tested, but as it was initially believed to be a milder variety, only one pod was tested. Preliminary results indicated a score of 1,590,000 Scoville Heat Units. A figure we believe to be hottest grown in the UK. So far. It may well be that the average result would be lower, or it could have been a rogue result.

Cya

Datil

Back