• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Made an interesting sauce last year

I was teaching an organic chemistry lab and the final 2 experiments were let the students do what they want. I worked with this one student: We cut up a bunch of habaneros and poured liquid nitrogen into a crucible to crush them up fine (more surface area) and then added hexane and heated up (a little) for 2 hrs then we distilled off the hexane and vacuum evaporated the rest. The resultant oil (not much, about 1/4 teaspoon) was fantastic with just putting a pin in the oil and touching your tongue being quite enough for both a burn and a great taste.

Sidenote: I looked up pure capsaicin powder, it is like 300 dollars a gram.

ipreferamediumroast said:
Chemist, but I teach at the moment. I was very surprised after we did the experiment in looking up pure capsaicin. It is a white powder that is ridiculously expensive that makes me think that even in a whole habanero there might be a milligram of it. Powerful stuff. I would be curious if anyone here has tried the pure stuff?

Yes Crystal Cap is quite expensive. There is an Apothacary RX in Medina Ohio I deal with alot and I can get it through them....Basically enough to fill 1/3 of a shot glass is $475.00 (with lab certificate of purity) and also they tell be they can get a liquid cap that is way up the scale that costs about $175 for 4 ounces

Dyce51 said:
Yes Crystal Cap is quite expensive. There is an Apothacary RX in Medina Ohio I deal with alot and I can get it through them....Basically enough to fill 1/3 of a shot glass is $475.00 (with lab certificate of purity) and also they tell be they can get a liquid cap that is way up the scale that costs about $175 for 4 ounces

Sounds like Blair...

Dyce51 said:

I have been to medina, do they keep it in stock? (I might be making a run to the mustard seed market tomorrow, that is whay I ask)

Back