• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Made my first hot sauce. Need advice.

i used

5 TS-Moruga
4 Sweet peppers
1 big garlic clove
1 Yellow onion
white vinegar
water
and recooked and added cornstarch to thicken cause it was to runny.

My question is this : after a day of sitting in the fridge it gets this thickish film floating around in it. smells the same and taste the same. Is it a problem or going to create a problem?

I'm not an expert, but from my own experience some separation seems to be normal. I just give it a shake, shake, shake and its ready to go.

I think commercial sauces have an additive that maintains consistency.

You can get xantham gum in the organic/gluten-free/health nut section of the grocery store. It's kind of expensive, but a little bit will go a long way. I don't know if corn starch is bad.

Did you cook the sauce after the corn starch was added? Corn starch needs to be brought up to boil/cooked in order for it to "do it's thing" (sorry, I'm not a food scientist) ...

When corn starch is cooked, it becomes translucent. If it's not properly cooked/boiled, it will keep a milky/cloudy look in whatever it's in.

I'm guessing the cornstarch didn't get properly cooked. Since the sauce is already cooked, I'd suggest putting it back on the stove and bring it up to a boil. Unfortunately, once it's brought back up to boil, it may thicken more than what you intended with the corn starch. maybe some help~

i woulndt have use cornstartch... most person cook more or use xantam gum

I'd use cornstarch over xantam gum any day. My favorite sauce uses cornstarch. Nothing wrong with it. However, some people don't like unnatural things such as xantam gum.You don't need the xantam gum. To avoid it being runny just put less water and vinegar in it. That's what I do. I make a paste then work with it to get the consistency I want. Some People use fruit pectin, but I had no luck with it. If you make a paste first, you can easily avoid having to use anything to thicken it up.

i used

5 TS-Moruga
4 Sweet peppers
1 big garlic clove
1 Yellow onion
white vinegar
water
and recooked and added cornstarch to thicken cause it was to runny.

My question is this : after a day of sitting in the fridge it gets this thickish film floating around in it. smells the same and taste the same. Is it a problem or going to create a problem?

It should be fine. When you shake it up does it mix together fine?

just saying that i try to make it "natural" without any thickner...

made some sauce that i blended and cook and tweaked "in the blender" and they dont seperate even after months probably that i dont use too much liquid (vinegar and water)
usually after boiling and in the blender, my sauce is a bit too thick ( i cook them a long time to evaporate and kill bacteria) and during the blending time i add the cider vinegar small drop at a time and watch the consistency. when it's pourable but not too thin i stop and bottle.

for an example, my spag sauce i always add more tomato paste i have found it's a very good way to take care of thickness. i just dont like a sauce that seperate especially spag sauce!

but that is personnal taste and my opinion.

just saying that i try to make it "natural" without any thickner...

made some sauce that i blended and cook and tweaked "in the blender" and they dont seperate even after months probably that i dont use too much liquid (vinegar and water)
usually after boiling and in the blender, my sauce is a bit too thick ( i cook them a long time to evaporate and kill bacteria) and during the blending time i add the cider vinegar small drop at a time and watch the consistency. when it's pourable but not too thin i stop and bottle.

for an example, my spag sauce i always add more tomato paste i have found it's a very good way to take care of thickness. i just dont like a sauce that seperate especially spag sauce!

but that is personnal taste and my opinion.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing too. I haven't seen mine separate by doing it this way either. I do the same with my spaghetti sauce too, heh. I just hate messing with things like cornstarch and other things to thicken it up. I also want don't want to affect the taste of the sauce however small.

I did cook it while adding the cornstarch. it got a bit to thick so i recooked it added a bit of water and it is to perfection now. and it does blend back together after i shake it. thanks everyone for the help. i love this community.

also in my experience when using a thickener, dont mix it in straight, i usually mix mine with a tiny bit of oil (mix xanthan gum) so you can incorporate it easier without being lumpy

Back