• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

made some sauce & puree

Hi All,

I made some Butch T hot sauce & puree over the weekend. The sauce contains:

20 T.S. Butch T pods - chopped
1 large Vidalia onion - chopped
1 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar
juice of 1 fresh lime
3 fresh culantro leaves
2 tablespoons of honey
2 teaspoons salt
1 fresh Cuban oregano leaf

I sauteed everything up, blended, let simmer for 10 minutes, blended again, brought to a boil, let simmer for 25 minutes, and bottled. Once I was done, I realized that I forgot to add garlic! :(

The puree:
Pureed :) the pods, added white vinegar to each jar, and put it in a hot water bath for 20 - 25 minutes. I got four 1/4 pint jars of Orange Habanero & 2 from the Butch T.

6343530471_09f0781e8e_b.jpg

The Butch T is extremely hot! I felt like I should have draped the kitchen in plastic before starting this little project.

1 1/2 cups of Apple cider Vinegar (ACV) is quite a bit of a very strong flavor. Just curious, did it seem to mask any of the other flavors? The ACV and honey are a good combination of flavors but seems like they might mask the lime, culantro and oregano.

RM

1 1/2 cups of Apple cider Vinegar (ACV) is quite a bit of a very strong flavor. Just curious, did it seem to mask any of the other flavors? The ACV and honey are a good combination of flavors but seems like they might mask the lime, culantro and oregano.

RM
Yes, the ACV did take away from some of the other flavors. This sauce wasn't one of my better ones. I know next time, not to drink so much before sauce making. :lol:

Good grief!! 20 ButchT's and you're worried about the ACV covering the flavor?!? That much heat and I wouldn't be able to use enough to taste it anyway!! :fireball:

I'm such a rookie! :(

Back