• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Make my sauce more runny

Hi, i am new to making hot sauce but i have been experimenting for a while.
I have a problem, the final result of my sauce is just wat i want in taste but is kind of thick. How can i make it more runny without loosing the quality of the taste.

Here is what i do:

1/2 cup of vegatable oil
5- 6 habanero peppers
4-5 gloves of garlic
1 cup of water
2 table spoons of white vinagare
3/4 lime
1 t/s salt
basil leaves

thanx

If he wants a thinner sauce that's what he wants. I don't think "leave it thick" helps him too much.

What's the vegetable oil for? Does it taste like a thick salad dressing now?

Lose the oil, add more vinegar.

If he wants a thinner sauce that's what he wants. I don't think "leave it thick" helps him too much.

+1 for this. If it's still not to you liking after this you can always strain the pulp out though a chessecloth or fine strainer utill it's to your liking.

Thanks for the advice guys
i love it the way it is is just if i want to put it in a smaller bootle is hard to pour it out. If i put more vinegar is perfect but the taste is a bit overpowering..

You weren't clear on all your steps. You are cooking this, correct? Play with measurements and pH until you get it right. Too vinegary for you? Okay fine. Use a fruit juice. Too sweet? Okay, water. Whatever. You'll get it. When I cook sauces I don't add water. Some people do. I find better ways to get the consistency I want with other liquids and a balance of cooking it down, not cooking it down so much, etc.

You weren't clear on all your steps. You are cooking this, correct? Play with measurements and pH until you get it right. Too vinegary for you? Okay fine. Use a fruit juice. Too sweet? Okay, water. Whatever. You'll get it. When I cook sauces I don't add water. Some people do. I find better ways to get the consistency I want with other liquids and a balance of cooking it down, not cooking it down so much, etc.

+1

I just assumed taste was where he wanted it so water would thin, but if you are boiling it more then 30 minutes try only 30 minutes which will make it nasty free for bottling and is should be thinner. After that it is just thickening it.

My one sauce I have to boil for 1.5 hours and it is still somewhat thin....watermelons go figure. lol

Good luck

+1

I just assumed taste was where he wanted it so water would thin, but if you are boiling it more then 30 minutes try only 30 minutes which will make it nasty free for bottling and is should be thinner. After that it is just thickening it.

My one sauce I have to boil for 1.5 hours and it is still somewhat thin....watermelons go figure. lol

Good luck

True, taste is just where i want it. The only thing is that i want to make it a little runnier so when i put it in bottles comes out easier rather then banging the bottle as if you have ketchup.
I put enough want just to soften the ingredients especially the chilies. If i put more water gets too thin, if i put more vinegary is perfect consistency but too vinegary.Hmm

As i said i am new to making sauce and not really familiar with the PH factor. Is there a discussion or explanation in this forum where i can read about it?
Also if you can point me out to a similar discussion about sterilizing issues.
I would very much appreciate the help guys.
Thanx

True, taste is just where i want it. The only thing is that i want to make it a little runnier so when i put it in bottles comes out easier rather then banging the bottle as if you have ketchup.
I put enough want just to soften the ingredients especially the chilies. If i put more water gets too thin, if i put more vinegary is perfect consistency but too vinegary.Hmm

As i said i am new to making sauce and not really familiar with the PH factor. Is there a discussion or explanation in this forum where i can read about it?
Also if you can point me out to a similar discussion about sterilizing issues.
I would very much appreciate the help guys.
Thanx

Not sure about the links, but the PH needs to be checked since peppers are very low in acid. Botulism will grow and thrive in your hot sauce if you keep it too long, you'll get BAD sick in other words. :sick:

If you go through your sauce fairly quick, it's not really that important. In the fridge for a couple months or so.

Look around on this forum though, there is all sorts of info concerning PH in sauces.

Dave

Also another thought. When you make your sauce do you let it set for a amount of time or use it right away. I have found it's best to let the sauces sit for a week or so, more so if they contain vinegar, so the tast evens out and doesn't taste so acidic.

The key to thinning with water is how long you boil down. You need at least 30 minutes boiling. Remember as it cools it will thicken a little. go 30 minutes and check the thickness.
1) Too thin...boil some more.
2) Still too thick... add a cup of water(1/2 cup depending on how big a batch you are making.)
3) If what you added gets it too thin go to step 1

As for sanitizing bottles and more....
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/14991-hot-sauce-making-for-an-uber-newbie/

Good luck and take pictures........we love pictures
flash.gif

run it through a strainer or cheese cloth

Hi, i am new to making hot sauce but i have been experimenting for a while.
I have a problem, the final result of my sauce is just wat i want in taste but is kind of thick. How can i make it more runny without loosing the quality of the taste.

Here is what i do:

1/2 cup of vegatable oil
5- 6 habanero peppers
4-5 gloves of garlic
1 cup of water
2 table spoons of white vinagare
3/4 lime
1 t/s salt
basil leaves

thanx

The Hot Pepper said:
Thanks for the Great TIPS GG

I only make what I will use in a week or so.
#1--keeps in the fridge, so I don't have to worry much about PH.
#2--I can try something different every time.
#3--I never end up with a large batch of terrible stuff I have to get rid of.

True, it does taste better with time, and I can understand those with a quantity of peppers wanting to preserve them.

But I have a large variety of peppers in smaller quantity, and I want to taste at least one concoction of each, and several blends after.

I am the only one in the house who will eat the stuff, and even the blandest alchemy in the attempts to convert others has them swearing about the heat, while being totally unsatisfying for me.

Loads of info here on recipies and proper preperation for shelf storage.

Aha.........if things haven't changed since 2011.......lol.  Get rid of the vegatable "Earl"
If you keep it in the recipe and imersion blend or whip in the counter top machine you will emulsify it into a salad dressing........add some egg yolks and you'll have a special Mayo...

Back