MAKING A CHILI BEER!!!!!!!

I have brewed a traditional american pilsner and intend to roast some habaneros and toss them into the secondary fermenter for some heat, flavor and aroma before I bottle it.

I don't know how many people here brew beer, but feedback from anyone is welcome.

i've tried to brew my own once. we messed it up though..added the yeast to the wort before letting it cool. :mouthonfire: an important part of the process that was omitted from our instructions. after letting it "ferment" for a few weeks..we realized it didn't work and dumped it.

anyway, good luck with the hab pilsner. :think: i've only had one pepper beer before..it was ok, but to me, pepper beer is kinda strange. i love the combination, but prefer my peppers on my plate.

Thanks! Yeah, I have had bad ones, but I am looking to do a good one.....does that go without saying? Probably so.

That is crappy about your experience brewing. I love it.

i'll be sure to take another crack at it sometime down the road. after scrubbing everything with that cleanser and waiting 4 weeks for beer that wasn't beer..it was a little disheartening.

have you ever tried any of those clone kits? or do you just customize them all?

i've looked at those clone kits and thought it would be awesome to make some of my favorite beers, then even tweak them a bit in whatever direction i'd like it to go.

Brewing from scratch is so easy, that I have stayed away from kits.
What would you like to clone? I can give you a super easy sierra nevada recipe if you want.

I have never had a completely failed batch, so I cannot quite imagine how frustrating that would be. Damn those crappy directions you got!!

I belong to homebrewtalk.com that looks eerily like this forum, only on brewing beer. It is so easy and saves SO much money.

cheezydemon said:
I have brewed a traditional american pilsner and intend to roast some habaneros and toss them into the secondary fermenter for some heat, flavor and aroma before I bottle it.

I don't know how many people here brew beer, but feedback from anyone is welcome.

When I lived in St. Louis, My bro and I experimented in brewing beer. It was quite rewarding. We had a few mistakes (a volcano ale comes to mind....bottled too early. Pop the cap, and the bottle would erupt until empty) We also failed to brew a good wheat ale.....tasted like cr*p. We finally nailed a decent recipe...we'd add a little corn sugar during the bottling process to push the alcohol content to 11.5%. Good stuff.

Alas, my home in TN doesn't have a basement (can't brew in the garage...too hot...and the wife wouldn't allow it in the house) and I'm too busy with med school to attempt it in my dorm room.

Oh well....I'll graduate someday...I hope...

I respect your respect for your spouses wishes.........however...

My spouse is much the same way, but I am allowed to brew every 2 months or so...OR whenever she is away from the house for 2 hours and there is no trace of it left when she gets back except for the happily fermenting beer in the closet...which she may or may not notice (nudge nudge wink wink)

I like a subtle heat to my beers. I found cayenne to be too hot for my taste in a beer, so i can't imagine doing a hab pils. By best so far has been a jalapeno pale ale and an ancho stout. the raisin taste from the anchos were great in a strong bodied stout! And for some reason, bops and jalapenos also matched extremely well. These seem to be the only 2 chile beers I've been able to pull off quite successfully.

Once, I did think it would be a cool idea to bottle a jalapeno in each beer. Was really cool for the first 2 weeks. At which point, they developed way too much heat.

I only dropped 6 roasted habs and one guajillo (not hot) in 4.2 gallons. I don't think that it will be too hot. The smell is wonderful!
I will let you know.

I've made my own chili beer for a few years now...

I add a chili (birdseye or something of that nature) to my longnecks when i'm bottling.

Personally, i wouldn't add chilies to the wort, as they could easily introduce an infection to the beer and spoil the whole batch.

Greeny is right tho, if you leave the bottles for too long it becomes too hot, and all you get out of the beer is a throat burn!

The way to get around the burn is to only add chilies to half the bottles, so when you are pouring you can mix the beers to obtain the desirable heat level in each glass.

This said, I guess if you have a keg system, then the only way to spice things up is by adding the chillies to the wort. Just make sure you blanch them in boiling water or something to reduce the risk of infection

Back