• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Making a sweet hot sauce.

I had some leftover habs so I decided to make a little sauce. It is somewhat Asian I think, but maybe a little Caribbean as well. Hell, I don't know. Let's just hope it turns out good.

Ingredients. (Approximate, I don't measure)
20 orange and red habs
1 Fatalii
1 Bhut (only one of each because I don't want this to be TOO hot)
1 sweet red bell pepper
1/2 of a large Vidalia onion
1 can Roland Papaya (I know I should have gotten fresh, but I had this to what the hell?)
teaspoon grated ginger
juice and zest of one lime
rice wine vinegar
balsamic vinegar
raw sugar
sea salt
dried orange peel

Here's the pics so far.

100_8596.jpg

100_8597.jpg

100_8599.jpg

It's simmering now. I hope it tastes as good as it smells! More pics later.

looking good and I think I can smell it from here in west Fort Worth...hey TB...can you smell this stuff JayT's cooking up over there in Frisco?

very nice Jay-T. we must be on the same wavelength - i bought a couple of papayas today (plus some pineapple) with plans to make some hot sauce. i think that i'll shamelessly steal the balance of your recipe and incorporate the pineapple into the sauce. if i actually get motivated (after the 3 bloodys) and make it, i'll send you a bottle.

I'm seriously about to start drooling. I smell the lime, the ginger, the papaya, and the habs. Mmmmmm wish they made this scent in an air freshener! I know I am going to be disappointed. It can't possibly taste as good as it smells.

I'm seriously about to start drooling. I smell the lime, the ginger, the papaya, and the habs. Mmmmmm wish they made this scent in an air freshener! I know I am going to be disappointed. It can't possibly taste as good as it smells.

she did smell good ....I have liked Ginger since Gilligans Island...

I will see you guys later...time to prepare to get crazy at the elephant...

Here's after the first pureeing. I gave it a taste test and it needed a little more sweet so I got out some agave nectar. Also thought it needed a little more acidity so I added a little more lime juice and another splash of balsamic. Now that it tastes like I want, time to work on the consistency. I left the seeds in so I need them to soften up. Gonna let it simmer a while. Bottled pics later.

100_8600.jpg

Very nice! I'm wanting to make a fitali, yellow cayenne sauce next, will use pineapple juice, vinegar and lemon juice, no need for added sugar in that one.
Your sauce looks to have a very nice consistency, and it would taste great using the fresh peppers and papaya's! I like the use of capsicums (bell peppers)! Enjoy! :)

Back