• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Making AJ's True Texas Red

AlabamaJack said:
AlabamaJacks Red - True Texas Red

2 lbs. Chili ground beef
1 lb. Chili ground pork
12 oz Italian Sausage Hot
12 oz Italian Sausage Mile
12 oz. Chorrizo
1 Tbsp Cumin
1 Tbsp salt
3 16 oz cans stewed tomatos
1 Tbsp black pepper
750 ml white zinfindel wine
1-3 Tbsp Oregano
10 Jalapeno peppers (chopped)
2-4 Tbsp Chili Powder
4 Cloves Fresh Garlic Crushec
1 large Sweet White Onion (chopped)

Brown all meat keeping the fat that has been rendered...the leaner meat you use, the less fat.

Add all other ingredients and cook on low heat just enough to keep it bubbling for about 2-3 hours and you are ready.

Once the chili is ready to eat, you can remove some of the grease off the top...I would not remove the grease before cooking because that is where a lot of the flavor comes from...

Bon Apetite

Yeah I giving AJ's chili a whirl. As I type this the pot is simmering on the stove - it smells great and I can't wait...has it been 2 hours yet?? Shoot...still 1:50 left...

confession here....I don't even like chocolate...and that is probably why it just sounds wrong to me...

not doubting it adds something to the taste, but I like the taste of mine just like it is...heck, I have been honing this recipe for about 30 years...

AlabamaJack said:
confession here....I don't even like chocolate...and that is probably why it just sounds wrong to me...

not doubting it adds something to the taste, but I like the taste of mine just like it is...heck, I have been honing this recipe for about 30 years...

Oh, nobody's doubting you at all. Your recipe is the shiznit. Period. I was just sayin that cincy chili(with the chocolate in it) is pretty damn good, but it is indeed way different than yours obviously.

Thanks SM, I understand...and I was just thinking...the wife loves chocolate...I may make a small batch for her next time to see if she likes it....

The last batch of chili I made called for two squares of unsweetened chocolate so I said what the heck and went for it. Didn't notice a "chocolaty" flavor at all.

Back