• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

tutorial Making Hot Sauce 101

PrimeTime said:
um right but standard store bought white and cider vinegars are 5%.

5% acidity by volume, that's not their pH number.  Vinegars are diluted with water to their listed %.  A rice vinegar I have in the cupboard is 4.1% and a balsamic is 6%.

This was also touched on previously, but these numbers are good to know.  Again, if a recipe is formulated with balsamic vinegar at 6% and rice vinegar at 4.1% is substituted, the recipe won't have enough acidity.

Newbie here. I just tested my hot sauce with a ph tester and it shows 3.3. From what I read, fermentation is a process used in order to avoid adding an acidic componenet such as vinegar. Is that correct? Apologies if I sound like a broken record...and many thanks.

Yes.

and :welcome: to THP.

HOT PEOPLE HELP :))
Tommorow im doing my 3rd fermentation,,i wanna put scorpions moruga,red savina onion and garlic. I wanna give sweet detail to garlic and onion before i puree it.
I m gonna put onion and garlic into a foil with olive oil , wrap it i a foil and put it in the oven. Does anybody have some experinece ??? Advice??

This may get more or better answers if posted in the fermenting thread. but since it's here, my thoughts are-

No Oil in the fermentation.  If you want some roasted flavor, I would suggest fermenting everythign else except the onion and garlic.  Then when you are ready to bottle it up, roast the onions and garlic, with oil if you want, then add it to the fermented things, blend it, cook it, bottle it.

QUESTION: My mash s staying for three days and fermentation didnt start, can the onion or garlic or some other ingredient slow down the ferment ??

Fermentation questions are better answered in the Fermenting 101 thread. Fermenting I'd different than making cooked sauces.

Fellas.. i want to try fementing sauce but wanna roast garlic and onion or pepper. What can be negative cosequences when im roasting ??

matew90, try posting HERE in the fermenting thread.  A lot of fermenters are in there and you'll get a quick answer.  :)

FOR MEASURING PH VALUE, IS IT BETTER TO MEASURE IT WITH PH TRACKS OR WITH PH METER?

WITH PH TRACKS....I JUST PUT THEM INTO MY MASH AND THE TRACK WILL SHOW THE COLOR OF PH VALUE ??

I would definitely use a pH meter.

While in a pich the strips will work you will get a precise measurement instead of an accurate one. Not to mention the sauce itself could v=change the color of a strip and present problems.

GUYS:
In which situation is more likely to get mold ??
1. Situation when i mash my chillies in food procesor ,add salt and lemon juice for ph and put it in jar and cover with cheesecloth or..
2. Sitution when i chop my peppers and submerge it in brine and i put it in jar with airlock ??

Depends on the company and the quality, would have to follow instructions my the manufacturer. A natural alternative is Guar Gum, Agar Agar.
Xanthan gum is a natural binding ingredient derived from fermented vegetable matter.

Back