• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic Making my own hydroponic system

It's a hydroponic nute mix and supplier of it.

Alright that's what I was thinking. With the nutes I have, or just in general, how do I stress the plant hydroponically for hotter peppers

bvalente said:
I am not sure what this exactly means.

Haha thank you! I am hoping the 2ft T5HO bulbs will be enough since there is 3 of them and another 300w CFL, but if it isn't, should I get the 4ft bulbs for only 2 or 3 plants? I am pretty eager to get my seeds and get this whole process rolling!
I think you can get away with it personally but I think it's better to have more then enough light the not enough, know what I mean?

I think you can get away with it personally but I think it's better to have more then enough light the not enough, know what I mean?

I completely agree, right now this is what I have to work with. The HPS and MH wouldn't be economical for me for only two or three plants, especially with the cost to run them. I'd like to get a bigger set of t5

bvalente said:
Alright that's what I was thinking. With the nutes I have, or just in general, how do I stress the plant hydroponically for hotter peppers
I would think that you cut back on the water if you dwc.

hot stuff said:
I would think that you cut back on the water if you dwc.

Can you do that with the system I got setup? I am new to this so I would need some detailed instruction how to, off the top of my head it doesn't make sense to with a hydroponic system.

Sounds like in your set up the roots are always in the water.  I'm not totally sure how I would do it in your case but I guess if you're home all day any particular day once they start fruiting you could remove the roots from the water until the leaves start to wilt a little bit then put them back in. But I would think that your fruit ought to be hot enough without stressing them anyway.

Thank you again for the help! I plan on going to pick up a 4 bulb 2 foot T5HO setup. I am going to put in 1 6500K, 1 5400K, 1 3000K, and 1 2800K. I also still plan to use my 300W CFL if I need to and possibly going to get this all into a grow tent 

Definetly dot worry another stressing the plants ..I promise the peppers will be hot enough for you if you give them what they need....not that junaitos is wrong but I wouldn't advise increasing water temp in a hydro system..asking for trouble IMO ...I don't even keep my reservoir/controller in my grow tent because I dont want my temp to increase due to the HPS light...

Don't pull the plants out and wait for it to wilt. Don't increase the water temp. Those are both bad advice. With peppers over 2 million these days, if your hydro plant isn't hot enough for you, get a hotter variety. No need to stress the plant.

I just use the GH Bloom powder at 0.75 tsp/G for the entire grow...works great.

I balance the nutes after with the GH up and down powder using a gun scale to weight the charge.

This way i can swap the 25G required in 45mins.

Dreamweaver said:
I balance the nutes after with the GH up and down powder using a gun scale to weight the charge.

Curious how many grains this takes. I have a RCBS 502 that I never thought of using for weighing pH up and down.

Just to rock the boat with nutes, I have been using flora duo for a couple of years and the plants love it. No reason for me to change at all. I'm taking a break from hydro this winter but might return next year.

A million opinions.

As it is your first, keep it simple.
Expect disaster.
Bugs, nute burn/deficiencies, leggy plants/burned tops, and the ever madning tons of flowers---all dropping.

Some varieties---Inca Berry, Thai Dragon, Boliviain Rainbow---produce for me even when ignored on a window sill.

Others, mostly the supers, even with heroic feats off attention to detail, are plain buggers.

Patience.

A million opinions.

As it is your first, keep it simple.
Expect disaster.
Bugs, nute burn/deficiencies, leggy plants/burned tops, and the ever madning tons of flowers---all dropping.

Some varieties---Inca Berry, Thai Dragon, Boliviain Rainbow---produce for me even when ignored on a window sill.

Others, mostly the supers, even with heroic feats off attention to detail, are plain buggers.

Patience.

Thanks for the insight, I know to expect some setbacks and I'm hoping all goes according to plan, realistically it probably won't. I'm doing my best to research on here and throughout the internet seeing the things to do and avoid. You guys have pretty much stated it all.

I plan on sticking with the growing schedule on the box and adjusting the photoperiod and light distance as they mature. Hopefully all goes well and I get some steady producing peppers. I've only grown a couple pepper plants outside so far before all the rain killed them, but in my little experience the jalapeño seem to be more forgiving than the habanero. I plan on growing both an possibly an old teammate is going to give me some seeds from his Ghost Pepper plant.

I'm sure as I get into the hobby more I'll be posting more questions and help and rescue. I really appreciate everyone's input, you guys are awesome!

Jeff H said:

Curious how many grains this takes. I have a RCBS 502 that I never thought of using for weighing pH up and down.

~6.0 grains to bring UP from 4.50 PH after nutes.

~13.0 grains to take DOWN from 8.00 PH for raw RO water.

These are for a 2.5G jug.

Normally ends up 5.80 - 6.00 PH but i havn't check that in months ;)

Thank you everyone for your help! I got the seeds a few days ago and got them into some Rockwool. I mixed the nutes I have in the Week 1 mix and PH balanced the cubes and soaked them in it for about 2 hours. I also soaked the seeds for about 12 hours over night. I also took the big storage bin back to the store since I realized it would be a pain getting water into that thing LOL I switched to 2 5 gallon buckets.

I have them on a seed heating mat in some red solo cups with plastic wrap over the top to keep moisture and humidity high. I m not sure of the temperature but i would estimate between 75-85 degrees, 24hrs a day. I also have them under my 4 bulb 2ft T5HO lights with about a 16-18hr photoperiod. The lights are about 10 inches away (3 6500k and 1 2700k, each 2000 lumens). They have been like this the past 3 days and I checked on them, they appear to be swelling up a bit but since this is my first grow I am unsure.

From what I have read, using this process it will take about a week to germinate. Is my lighting and photoperiod ok or should I not have any at all or change my spectrum or what?

Progress, they have been sprouted for about a week. I just took the Saran Wrap off the top of their Blue Solo Cup they were in. They are still under my grow lights about 3-4 inches away under a 18hr photoperiod. The Rockwool is kept wet since it tends to dry out relatively quick, I keep a little nutrients sitting at the bottom of the cup. Still on week 1 of my nutrients even though they've been like this for about a week, is that ok or should I already go to week 2?
EDIT:: I just mixed a batch of week 2 nutrients and getting them started on that with the Saran Wrap off. They are still on the seedling mat though, is this ok? Please let me know, as you can tell I am pretty new to this.

Just wondering how they look to you guys and a few suggestions, you've been very helpful. I also just got my hand on some Ghost seeds so I will germinate them soon as well.

Jalapeño:
zo9ama.jpg

Habanero cup 1:
29fsccw.jpg

Habanero cup 2:
2db7xuo.jpg

Progress. 4 weeks. 18 hour photoperiod kept 3" from plant canopy, repeated week 3 of GH Performance Pack nutrients now on week 4. pH kept at 6.0. I have a fan that comes on 4x a day for about an hour interval.

Jalapeño is coming in nice with some solid growth. My Habanero is about half the size and now the top leaves are yellow. Any idea why or recommendations?

ja9dtj.jpg

2qsxnc4.jpg

Back