• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Making soap spray

I think I am in the need of some bug killer. I have some leaf spots and also some leaves that are starting to hook near the stem. After reading Patrick's thread and seeing that he has the same spots and leaf hook that I do I am going to try a soap spray first. Could someone explain to me the proper mixture? Any certain brand to use? I have Dawn Ultra dish washing liquid and some anti-bacterial hand soap at my disposal at the moment if they are ok to use. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I'm not sure exact amounts I just wing it, but don't use anti-bacterial soaps or anything with scents/perfumes
I usually use sunlight dish-soap

I mix 1 teaspoon of a mild dish washing liquid (like Ivory) to a gallon of water. You can also add a little (1/4 strength) plant food to the mixture to give the plant some nutrients. Don't use the anti-bacterial soap as it will contain chemicals that may harm the plant.

Alan

i used dish washing liquid and alittle bit of salt for a diluted mixture.

seems to wash the aphids right off the plant.

I was told under no circumstances to use dishwasing soap on food plants. the chemicals in dishwashing soap that you dont want to eat get absorbed by the plant and end up in the fruit. This by a gardener who is very picky about what ends up in his food.

Thats why you don't want antibacterial or frangrances, just the fatty acids to clog the pests' pores.
I've used regular dish soap all my life without problems

2 tsp of murphys oil soap per 500ml spray bottle. Spray out of direct sunlight then I like to rinse of 1/2 hour later just to be sure. The oil in murphys helps to kill the bugs.

Most dish washing soap is detergent you want soap Ivory, Murphy's and there a few others, I mix a teaspoon of soap to 2 tbs of neem to kill bugs works for me

I use 2 tablespoons of baby shampoo to a gallon of water. Use a couple of tablespoons of garlic powder if you're after aphids. Aphids hate garlic

Back