• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

tutorial Making some puree today...will post pics of the process....it's easy....

I understand not altering the recipe to keep the pH for good shelf life. I meant what were some of peoples recipes that they make with the puree.

Sorry for not being clear.

I mixed some puree with a non-alcholic Bloody Mary...not a good thing to do on a mostly empty stomach! Lesson learned....of course I'm just new at this super hot stuff.

I hope to have enough Fatali and 7 pod yellow brain strain to do a batch of yellow puree this weekend.

Thanks!

Scott

Thanks for the awesome thread, AJ.

What does everyone think of using green chinense types? I usually harvest lots near the end of the season and I'll have many naga morich and 7pot / scorpion hybrid.

Thanks!

Just puree'd a kilo of Jamaican Yellows. YA MON!!! Made about half a gallon. Didn't have time to can it today...will can tomorrow. Crappy phone-cam...but you get the idea!
429998_3515171611817_1707418146_n.jpg

this thread was an awesome read, defiantly going to use this method for my first attempt at sauce later in the summer.

If anything, this thread should definitely be always at the top, for some top notch puree :)

i have been chopping my peppers in the blender with just a little bit of vinegar salt and sugar  then thats it sometimes wrap em in foil on the grill to soften em up and get the juices flowing  but i gotta cook it next time!  have a gallon of ghost i need to do something with

how did you determine the marks on the stick to how much it should cook down?

I think AJ posted that it's cooked down about 1/3rd.  It's in one of the first posts. 

The point of using a wood stick for measure as all pot levels are different.  Dip the stick when the pot is full, the stick will dry some as the sauce is cooking down, so when you dip the stick again, you should be able to see the differences in color/level.

The reduction AJ does is a guideline more than a hard and fast rule, since with previous batches I've done, a 1/4 reduction is plenty, and it still gives the sauces I've done a nice smooth consistency.

Threehundredc said:
how did you determine the marks on the stick to how much it should cook down?
Put the stick in the sauce at the begining and pull out.  Use a marker draw a line where the sauce stopped on the stick.  Wipe the sauce off.  Measure from short end of stick to that line you just made and then subtract 1/4 or 25% off of that total and draw your second line.  So if you measure 2" to your first line, subtract 1/4 which is 1/2" and draw a line at 1 - 1/2".   Cook your sauce until it's down to the 1-1/2" mark.  You have now reduced it by 25%. (notice the tape measure in the upper left of the picture) 

07-15-12a003.jpg

Alternatively, if you don't mind using it for this (and making sure it's properly cleaned and washed so as to not contaminate), you can also get a ruler or tape measure. :) Just measure it right before heating, and measure as you go!

salsalady said:
I think AJ posted that it's cooked down about 1/3rd.  It's in one of the first posts. 

The point of using a wood stick for measure as all pot levels are different.  Dip the stick when the pot is full, the stick will dry some as the sauce is cooking down, so when you dip the stick again, you should be able to see the differences in color/level.
This puree is an awful lot like a condiment called Ajvar from the Balkans that's made with concentrated sweet peppers. Instead of using the dipstick method to tell when the puree has cooked down enough, I like to use the method they use when making the Ajvar... I part the pulp in the pan with a wooden spoon, and when the pulp stays put and the liquid doesn't flow back into the gap... it's done.
SANY0222_zps9b292cb5.jpg

Cheers all!

Guess what I am getting ready to start tonight? Did I mention I got some yellar scotch bonnet s, white habs and white ghosts.  :drooling:

That's a great reference, Stickman.  That works well for shallow saucepans and is a good technique for a lot of different sauces made in a shallow pan, I'm thinking marinara or other tomato basted sauces like putanesca, curry...

Those with sauces 1" or more deep would probably have to use the stick method.  Seems I remember some posts either from AJ or others using his puree recipe where the sauces were 4-5" deep in the stock pot. 

Back