• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Mako akokosrade - seed collected in Ghana

These peppers were grown by Joe Delaney from seeds collected in Ghana, so as close to the pepper in Ghana as is possible! Thanks Joe!

Although I `ve had this one before, these looked quite different and being so close to the source, deserved a second look and taste. 

The flavor is initially quite sweet, but with a prickly burn and very strong C.chinense flavor. There is also a little fruitiness and the overall sensation is one of freshness. The aftertaste has undertones of fresh ginger.

The heat is quite prickly and a little aggressive, being around 3 times that of a Cayenne, so hot but not ridiculous. It`s a very nice pepper that could be a real mainstay of the kitchen, with many uses. Sounds about right for a Landrace like this one!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMvA99N_u6E&feature=youtu.be

I grew out some mako kokoo peppers from seeds that I got from Joe Delaney. They're fantastic peppers, it seems that Ghanian peppers are very useful in the kitchen! I made bacon poppers with some of them and it turned out to be delicious

idosimon said:
I grew out some mako kokoo peppers from seeds that I got from Joe Delaney. They're fantastic peppers, it seems that Ghanian peppers are very useful in the kitchen! I made bacon poppers with some of them and it turned out to be delicious
Review to come!!! I liked the Mako kokoo a lot as well!

Nigel - Bravo for giving us another fine review....
Joe sent me MakoAkokocsrade & MakoKokoo seeds last year.
I planted the Kokoo - it grew very easily into robust plants with small, smooth, shiny bell shape pods.    To me the flavor was a super nice 'smooth' heat with plenty of taste without any bitterness or aftertaste.  This is an excellent  pepper for the chef.    There will be more of these plants in my 2014 grow.  Thanks Joe!  

Nice review!
Got some very interesting seeds from Joe, he's doing an amazing work with landraces.

Cya

Datil

Back