• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MarkT growing log 2011

Hello my fellow chilliheads,

This is my first time growing chillis or any other plants for the matter. I have been reading and learning from this forum and am truely inspired but the impressive chilli plants grown by the members here. My goal is to be able to successfully grow chinense varieties that are currently unavailable here in Malaysia. I have been collecting chilli seeds from Australia, South Africa, UK and Australia and so far I have successfully germinated the following type.

Bhut Jolokia Red
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
Trinidad Scorpion Red
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Fatalii Yellow
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend
Yellow 7 Pod
Chocolate Habanero
Yellow Habanero
Red Savina
Datil
Bonda Ma Jacques
Dorset Naga
Yellow Scotch Bonnet
ThaiBirdsEye
Localchinense(unidentified)

Some issue I was facing initially were the right type of soil, temperature and amount of sunlight. I have since settled to a mixture of
45% (normal soil mix) 45% Coco coir 10% perlite and will adding in some worm casting, guano and processed chicken manure.
I germinated all my seeds outdoor with indirect sunlight and will gradually increase the amount of exposure to the sun but never full direct sunlight.
Our weather here is humid and hot with daytime temperate 30c to 35c and night time 25c to 28c. Season is either rainy or dry.

Here are some of the latest photos of my plants and materials I will be using. I plan on growing all in pots.

Thaibirdseyechilli.jpg

This is a birdseye type chilli. I collected the seeds from a fresh pod that were bought from the market. They are currently the hottest chilli sold in our market. Germination rate was very good.

tescochilli.jpg

This plant I believe is our local Cabai Burung I bought the plant from Tesco Supermarket and transplant them into a bigger pot

mycorrhizalgranulesandpowder.jpg

Did some reading about this product hopefully they will be useful.

liquid-fertilizerandneemspray.jpg

Bought some essential liquid fertilizer and bug spray. I will be using them at 1/2 dosage every 2 weeks.

Below are some of the older plants that are growing well
superhotmixture.jpg

fataliiTSred.jpg

BH-TSMB-TSBT.jpg

Here is a mystery chinense chilli I got from my friend's garden. They don't look like habanero to me? I know they are way hotter than the local birdseye chilli. I have collected the seeds and succesfully germinated some. The burning sensation on my fingers lasted 2 days when I extracted the seeds without any gloves.
localchinense.jpg

Anyway that it for today. Like to say thanks for all the info shared by fellow members in this forum. I will always welcome helpful comments and will try my best to share what I have learned with others. Thanks again

Mark T

Hey Mark how u doing? I am experiencing similar fruit fly issues with my chillies as especially tomatoes here on Maui. I did some research and have yet to come up with a viable organic solution. I set out trap baited with methyl eugenol ( male fruit fly attractant, ). Transplanted all my basil plants away from my chillies and tomatoes; apparently basils, Thai basil in particular, secrete eugenol. I spray neem mixed with citrus soap every couple days. I am going to try boiling up a garlic, infected chili( chillies that have fruit fly larvae) and making a dead bug tea. Also I tried bagging my tomatoes for the same problem; however that caused condensation and brought in ants which proceded to eat my tomatoes. I abandoned the bagging method for chillies
Because I was told that the fly actually stings the blossom ( not sure if I believe that because I have seen those evil winged spawn of Satan depositing their eggs in maturing pods). Anyhow I am open to suggestions.
Thanks

Hey Mark how u doing? I am experiencing similar fruit fly issues with my chillies as especially tomatoes here on Maui. I did some research and have yet to come up with a viable organic solution. I set out trap baited with methyl eugenol ( male fruit fly attractant, ). Transplanted all my basil plants away from my chillies and tomatoes; apparently basils, Thai basil in particular, secrete eugenol. I spray neem mixed with citrus soap every couple days. I am going to try boiling up a garlic, infected chili( chillies that have fruit fly larvae) and making a dead bug tea. Also I tried bagging my tomatoes for the same problem; however that caused condensation and brought in ants which proceded to eat my tomatoes. I abandoned the bagging method for chillies
Because I was told that the fly actually stings the blossom ( not sure if I believe that because I have seen those evil winged spawn of Satan depositing their eggs in maturing pods). Anyhow I am open to suggestions.
Thanks

Hi there,

I have stopped planting peppers due to other commitments. From the research that I did and experiment with, I find a combination of fruit fly protein bait like Naturalure and bagging it with organza bags work. The organza bags are porous and will ventilate well to keep the pods dry. I didn't know that basil plant will attract fruit fly, thanks for the info. Good luck with you chilli plants.

Mark T

Back