• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Mash is mellow on my GI Tract

I've been enjoying my first fermented mash ... done in my Harsch Crock. Its heat is the same as my puree (same Caribbean Reds) ... but I notice I have far less digestive tract "issues" ... ie: Tales from the Loo.

I did "pressure can" it (I give it away to friends and didn't want to worry about spoilage, even though the pH was 3.4 when finished) ... I was initially just interested in the unique flavor.

So it's not the live probiotics ... working down below. Maybe the lactic acid itself is the "benefit" ... that makes it easier on the ol' colon ??? :eek:

Just wondered if anyone else has noticed that fermented peppers cause less "cursing in the morning" ... :rofl:

PS: The next batch I'm not going to sterilize ... gonna let it age and mellow in the frig .. :cool:

Good morning steel-n-peppers,
Congrats on a successful first mash experience.
Interesting topic you've got here...

I have found that the fermentation process seems to mellow/reduce some pepper varieties of that "morning after" condition you mention....(but not necessarily the burn)
For me...the ones that I have realized the greatest difference between fresh versus mash are the jalapeno and habanero.

Now...with that being said, an un-cooked mash (that still has living probiotics)does tend to keep things flowing rather freely(if you know what I mean)but without the less than comfortable pressure that precedes those monumental events.
I think its commonly referred to as one's digestive "flora".

The cooking/canning process, which kills the active probiotics, eliminates the bacteria that contributes to a healthy and "free flowing" GI tract...but preserves the vegetables without being refrigerated.

So what did you think about your finished mash?
Sounds like you enjoyed the flavor that comes with fermenting.
Did you notice much difference in the flavor or heat of the uncooked mash when compared to the pressure canned version?

I've noticed that eating lots of fresh HOT pods is completely drama free the next day. It's sauces that cause me problems.

I did keep one half pint that I didn't can or cook ... Raw right out of the crock ... I didn't find it as tasty.

Both had the same heat and GI effects :eek:

This next batch ... I'll keep some raw and "going" in the fridge ... And cook some, but not sterilize.

It's fun ... Making the mash, listening to the bubbles escape the crock, etc ...

I had so many Caribbean Reds from last season ... I've dehydrated, powdered, pureed, and fermented ... Trying to figure out what I like best ...

Only to find ... I like them all :woohoo:

This years crop is all Trinidads (thanks Judy) ... Looking great ... Trying to decide what to do with them all ...

What fun ... :dance:

I'll be following this experiment. I think it's good information of great value to anyone who likes to indulge. :hell:

Back