• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Mason's high enthalpy chili

This is my basic chili recipe. The name comes from a chemistry department get together from when I was an undergraduate.

2 lbs of ground beef, browned and fat drained
4 medium onions, chopped
2 15oz cans chili beans (with sauce)
1 15 oz can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 15 oz cans stewed tomatos
1 can diced tomato or two diced tomatos
1 16 oz bad of frozen corn
1 6 oz can tomato paste
your favorite chilis, optional (I use habaneros)

the following are to taste (I don't measure):
paprika
cumin
chili powder
oregano

Add everything together. Cook on low at least 6 hours in a crockpot, or 1 hour in a large pot on the stove. Serve. Add hot sauce, cheese, sour creme, cooked rice, crackers...whatever you like at this point. It's not a "real bowl of red", but this stuff has earned me a lot of respect among my friends and I frequently get requests for it.

If you know you are going to be the only person eating it or you are sharing with other chiliheads, feel free to add hot sauce before cooking. Uncle Big's Killer Sauce has a cuminy taste I think goes well with chili.

Someone else make this please so I don't feel like I've wasted my time :mouthonfire:

Is capsacium a real thing? Sorry just ignorant.

That looks really good, I have never put corn in chilli, I will give it a try.

I made this today with some minor changes. It turned out to be the best pot I've made. I'll make some other tweaks next time, but thanks for putting this up as I loved making/eating this.

I added the following to your above recipe and left the corn out. I also didn't have the paprika as I didn't buy any at the store thinking I had some at home.

2 - Cloves of Garlic
2 - Cans of Beef Broth
3.5 - lbs of beef, wanted more....only 1.5 more than you used
1 - 15oz. Can of Butter Beans
3 - Cups of Macaroni

INCaneFan said:
I made this today with some minor changes. It turned out to be the best pot I've made. I'll make some other tweaks next time, but thanks for putting this up as I loved making/eating this.

Thanks man! I have no problem with people tweaking it to their tastes. I'd just use 2 lbs because its convenient and it's the minimum threshold I think I need to satisfy my poker buddies. I've actually made a vegetarian version before for myself and some Indian friends who don't eat beef, and it turned out just as good.

Butter beans would be worth trying, I usually use them when I make white chili or home-made baked beans.

INCaneFan said:

I added the following to your above recipe and left the corn out. I also didn't have the paprika as I didn't buy any at the store thinking I had some at home.

2 - Cloves of Garlic
2 - Cans of Beef Broth
3.5 - lbs of beef, wanted more....only 1.5 more than you used
1 - 15oz. Can of Butter Beans
3 - Cups of Macaroni

:shocked:

Oh, wait... You're in Indiana, nevermind. :P

Macaroni?

Great use of chemistry jargon. Enthalpy rocks. Don't attempt an entropy chilli, though.....that could be dangerous.

Just finished eating a hefty bowl of this chili and I have to say that it is my favorite tasting chili to date. The stewed tomatoes and corn really stand out and really compliment the Habaneros that I used. I think it can still use a little more heat so I'm going to add more Habs the next time I heat it up. Fantastic recipe!

Glad you dug down deep to find this Nickmast. I think I'm going to give it a go later this week. How many habs did you use? I have a whack of them that I need to use up.

Pepperfreak said:
I know in Cincinnati Ohio they serve Chili over spaghetti. I've had that once and it wasn't too bad, just different.

Most Chilis can be served with just about any pasta and it will taste good. Maccaroni is common around here in Kentucky, but more so with beef soup.
We usually do road-kill(adds a great smoke flavor in summer(((KIDING!!!))))but seriously, we have some type of meat almost always in our chili, vegetarians are not for the likin around here :P

Back