• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mattys first ever Glog "Into the fire" 2019 season

Hello everyone and thanks for looking at my "Into the Fire" Glog!!

So I started my gardening hobby in my early 20's about 16 years ago now, and though I have played around with many types of flowers/vegis  tomato's is what most of my energy was put into. I loved alll the different colors and types that could be grown which really reminds me of all the exciting Chilli variety's that exist today. A couple seasons ago while looking for some info on a particular type of sweet pepper I stumbled onto a few videos of some people eating super hots (Ghost,Reapers ect..).  After looking into it a little more I figured this would be a very interesting thing to grow even just as a novelty since really no one in my area grows much if anything at all.

Last Winter I went and bought some seeds from Ebay..one was a mixed bag Ghost/Reaper/Scorpion...another was the Peter Pepper and the third was some type of Thai i believe. Only the Thai ended up growing true to type and the other 2 was a Cayenne and Ornamental. I was pretty disappointed when they did finally start putting out pods. It was around that time I started looking for a group or forum dedicated to Chillis, and luck would have it I found THP and all of you fantastic peoples.

Anyways with the boring back story outta the way I really planned ahead for this years grow....I built a 6'Hx6'Lx2'D grow box (not exact mesurments) which has 3 shelves and the middle one able to come out if I wnated to grow larger plants from the bottom tier. I went overkill on seed types making 3 decent size buys, 2 of which were 30+ from Garth at TexasHotPeppers and a smaller one from a fella in Arz.

I do not plan to grow all of these as my wife would kill me, but 20 or so might not be so bad.

The list:

Trinidad X strain
Pimenta Chris fat
Bonda Mahala
7 Pot Lava (Red)
Jays Choc Ghost Scorpion
Chachuca
Yaki Blue Fawn
BB7 Bhut Choc
Tobago Treasure
Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion
Peach Bhut WM
Borg 9 Yellow
Arseclown Jolokia
Red Savina X Fatalii (Yellow)
Tobago Seasoning
Arrowhead
Peachgum Tiger MAMP V1
Uraguay Seasoning
Reaper X SRTSL
Aji Charapita
MOA Scotch Bonnet
Reaper X BOC F3
7 Pot Moruga Scorpion
Choc Primo
BB7 Jobito Choc
Bad Brains
White Naga
7 Pot Pink
Tepin X Lemon Drop
Big Caramel Mama
Brainstrain X Reaper
Scotch Bonnet Long
CP115
Tangerine Hab
Big Yellow Mama
Monster Apocallise
Kraken Peach
Devils Tongue White
Bhutlah Lime X
Peach Bleeder
Jumbo Naga smooth
Jonahs Orange Nipple
Tiger bibi
Orange ghost Jami
Purple Reaper
Monkey Face yellow
Mustard reaper X
Peach Bonnet Scorpion
Naga Viper
Naga Viper Choc
BBG 7 white
BBG7 midnight
komodo Dragon
Red Mazano
Bad Brains pepper
Infinity
Jonahs Yellow
Sepia Reaper
Macapa
JAFSH Black
Fialga Roxa
Sugar Rush x Mango
white lightening Bolt
PDN x douglah 2.3
7 pot burgendy
Bleeding Heart yellow
Nagabon X Yellow Primo (yellow)
Orange Yaky
Orange Fatlli Scorpion

That was my 2 buys from Garth (The above list)

This is the smaller buy from Negroni

Chocolate Reapers
Red Ghost Peppers
Butch Taylor Reaper
Chocolate Scorpion Pepper
Red and Yellow 7 Pot Chaguanas
7 Pot Brain Strain
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Yellow Reaper

So would like to see some favorites and suggestions from the fine people here at THP so I can kinda get it down to a much much smaller grow list. Will also get some pics up shortly here of my grow box which still has one more shelf I need to wire up just waiting on a few more strip lights to arrive in the mail, but will still give an idea of what it will all look like when its done.

In final: This is a new hobby for me within the hobby I already enjoy...I am going to try some new things (new for me) and even the much earlier starts then normal will be interesting to see how it all comes out at the end.  I look forward to the input from the community and keeping this glog updated as much as I can.

Here is too success in 2019!!

CHEERS!

Matty

So got another set of seeds in to soak this morning...still a few types short as the second card sent with my order has not arrived yet sadly, but I still have MORE then enough and would ever need so may have to adjust my list if it gets too late. No matter I am sure it will all work out as Garth is a pretty solid dude.  I did look quickly this morning and saw at least 2 more sprouts coming out so hopefully this is the start of some good germination coming through.

I also got some pretty cool Tomato's from him...well my dad and I split on those but again is more then enough seeds for the both of us.

Walchit said:
Nice setup! I have a light I built with cheap 5050 led strips and a Xbox 360 power supply. Its around here somewhere lol

Thanks Andy...I really like working with the strips being 12v its a voltage I am comfortable working with qnd no fear of zapping myself as well if LEDs go out they are cheap and extremely easy to either cut into the strip or jsut replace the entire strip it's self. I have been doing the auction/bidding route and set my max bid around $3 cdn for a 16.4ft roll...some I managed to get around $2cdn which was nice.

That's also a great thing about them if you have some old 12v adapters lying around you can use them to power the strip as long as they have enough amps for what your using.

On Friday the very last of my strips I needed to finish the top came in the mail so I can do it all at once now...I just been putting it off as my neck and shoulders are kinda fookered atm and laying on my back for a good amount of time while holding the staple gun might not be so pleasent.

Day 10 update - Few more seedlings popping up last day or so, I will try and get apic up later tonight if I can.

A little bit of concern - Trays 1 and 2 are the ones poking their heads out but tray 2 has not has one as of yet. 1 and 3 seemed to be ostly Camole tea soaks and tray #2 was peroxide...hopefully it was not strong enough to make a difference and just taking abit longer as I only used about 8-9ml per cup (250ml) for soak.

Tray #4 was planted yesterday and was also a peroxide soak...the one difference I did notice was the bubbles around the seeds this time..I did not notice this in the first soak.

CDNmatt said:
A little bit of concern - Trays 1 and 2 are the ones poking their heads out but tray 2 has not has one as of yet. 1 and 3 seemed to be ostly Camole tea soaks and tray #2 was peroxide...hopefully it was not strong enough to make a difference and just taking abit longer as I only used about 8-9ml per cup (250ml) for soak.

You should be perfectly fine at your concentration levels (hovering around 0.10% if you started with a typical 3% H2O2 solution) even for a long soak. If you're using 35% H2O2 however...

Glad to see things have started to hatch for ya. Hope tray 2 kicks it into gear pronto!

CaneDog said:

You should be perfectly fine at your concentration levels (hovering around 0.10% if you started with a typical 3% H2O2 solution) even for a long soak. If you're using 35% H2O2 however...

Glad to see things have started to hatch for ya. Hope tray 2 kicks it into gear pronto!

Yeah it was only the typical 3% H202 we have kicking around for household uses. Think it was about a 20H soak, for tray #4 I did a 30H soak to see if it made any difference.

Think I will wait another 4 days then resow a couple of the same type if nothing has shown of yet.

Zippy said:
Good stuff Matt. I want to try the soaking method this year. Last year it was straight into soil on a heat mat. I'd rather pop the seeds first and then move into seed cells this year if possible. 

Yeah Zipper I think I am going to germ a bunch in the filters on the next go around as well...I am very unsure of this heat mat and am going to grab a therm of some sort in the next few days so I have an idea at least what temps are running at.

So day 11 update as well - A few more heads popping out on tray #1..I should try and write down in here what they are I suppose at some point tonight or tomorrow just been very busy having a hard time keeping track of the grow box this weekend.

Also - Tray #2 still shows no signs of life...no idea why at least 1 has not come up....Very strange indeed since #1 and #3 are coming slow and steady. SOOOOOOO in light of this and also I am just impatient I started to soak down a new set of seeds. Mostly all that were on #2 and a few extras of stuff that I got which may not grow true except for some Scotch Bonnets I got at a local farmers market.

You can read about me burning my hands from them here - http://thehotpepper.com/topic/69285-first-painful-mistake/

Pretty sure I am a wuss when it comes to topical heat from Capiscum since even taking the seeds outta some jalapenos burned more then they probably should of about a month or two ago.

CDNmatt said:
So I just had a thought and grabbed the meat thermometer so I could check the temp of the soil...sitting around 82F with the lids on it seems...I had to take the covers (old dog blanket) I had on them as it would get into the mid to high 90s when it was on.

High 90s might be too high I think

Ghost Pepper Revolution said:
High 90s might be too high I think

Yeah hoping I didn't fry the whole set and something pops at least ...the only good thing was only 3 seed of each type...6 types on that tray. Kinda why I wanted to start early as well so I had time to make up for any mistakes I made which I knew there was gonna be some....more to come I am sure

CDNmatt said:

Yeah hoping I didn't fry the whole set and something pops at least ...the only good thing was only 3 seed of each type...6 types on that tray. Kinda why I wanted to start early as well so I had time to make up for any mistakes I made which I knew there was gonna be some....more to come I am sure
Was the temp the soil one or just the temp inside the domes? If the soil didnt go high 90s everything should be fine

Ghost Pepper Revolution said:
Was the temp the soil one or just the temp inside the domes? If the soil didnt go high 90s everything should be fine

Unfortuantly it was the soil...not sure how long it was at that level though as I washed the thin little blanket I orig had on the trays and replaced it with a heavier one. When I lifted it to check I noticed it was waaaaaaaaaay warmer then the previous day with the thinnner fleece blanket I had on it.

So yesterday I put the seeds in to soak anyways to replace the that tray but will keep those oon my single mat and see if anything comes out at all for another week to 10 days at least . Maybe I will get lucky or something. 1 and 3 are coming along at least....like is a couple that havent come up but I moved all the sprouted to 1 tray which is full...so between 1 and 3 sitting at 50% as of today...not great but should still see more to come if it keeps going the way it is.

So Tray full of seedlings coming up...couple helmet heads so holding out hope for those fellas

QtsqJs6.jpg

Just hung a couple rigged up hanging lights with adapters for now since it is not worth running the entire shelf fulll on one tray of seedlings

WBHXAg1.jpg

And bought a bunch of 3G (50)  fabric pots back in December from Ebay for $10US which arrived yesterday. Came wrapped in the big one which is either a 10G or 15G...could be something in between as well I figure...also added 3 extra 3Gs so a total of 54 bags.

li8kHUP.jpg

PaulG said:
Like the bags. What kind of material is it?

For the life of me Paul I cannot remember what its called...once my wife gets home I will ask her. Even Google isn't helping ATM.

They are certainly a much cheaper materail then the black felt types or most you see for sale on Amazon or other Garden web sites.

Back