• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Max effective air prune pot size?

I have found a cheap source of felt and plan on sewing up pots for a bunch of first year plants and a few second year ones. I have seen plenty of 20-50 gal pots but not too much difference in the plants. What size under average conditions/nutrients/genetics/etc. before diminished returns? Soil is my problem, and I'd hate to waste it.

^^^ I'd agree with that.

I have a few plants in 2 gallon fabric pots growing inside using a flood & drain system and they are nearly 5 feet tall.

I have a bunch of 7 gallon ones, was looking to go to 20 gallons average. Would that be too big for a first year plant to be max effective? I don't care how big or small the plant is, I need the most pods possible!!

I'd only go to 20 gallons for tomato plants, their roots respond to container size the most. But, if you insist on a larger size for your pepper plants, then you can always try out some 10 gallon containers.

Size of pot before diminishing returns? on average? I'll guess somewhere in the 7-10 gallon range. But there are a lot of semi-pro growers here that aim a little bit higher.

Any chance you can share your Felt supplier? I was researching prices last night for a different project (insulation etc). Thank you either way.

Steve

Jetchuka said:

Any chance you can share your Felt supplier? I was researching prices last night for a different project (insulation etc). Thank you either way.

Steve

Nylon mesh also. The felt...... it's a secret!

Back