• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

chinense Maya Red Habanero?

"RED MAYAN HABANERO"

The history of this Chile variety, a few years ago, in a small town to the south of the state of Yucatan near Uxmal, was found a plantation whit an impteresant characteristics, is practically immune to the affectations by virus, and the taste is wonderful, with an almost perfumed flavor very fruit taste.

In my opinion taste much better than a caribbean red. perhaps the best Habanero flavor of all.

Imagen030.jpg

Confusingly, I believe 'Red Mayan' is different from 'Maya Red'

'Maya Red' in the link above may very well be a Hot Paper Lantern. It definitely looks different from what mayaflor is describing and showing.

I'm growing 'Maya Red' this year and will post pics and of course taste. I'll post pics later and see if we can figure it out!

I believe that they are one and the same.

I know for a fact that Maya Red was bred by Genesis Seeds....they call it simply, Maya.

I have a sneaking suspicion that they crossed the very early cayenne that they have, Solero (AKA Ring 'o Fire....45 days green, 60 days red), with a habanero to eventually create Maya Red.

I think that's where Maya Red got its length and relative earliness.

But it's just a guess!

http://www.genesisseeds.com/organicseed/vegetables/vegpepper.htm

Three pics of Solero.....

DSCF1060.JPG

4745725546_6ec3ebb6f5.jpg

DSCF1218.JPG

Somes pics of Maya....

DSCF1233.JPG

pepper%252520hot%252520Maya.jpg

~Dig

Very interesting. Maybe the Paper Lantern is a selected Maya [Red], selected for length and heat. From what I can gather, from not having grown the Paper Lantern, it is about an inch longer and a little hotter than the Maya Red. If you're growing it, post some pics, let's compare!

Seeing a post by Mayaflor made me smile. Yeah, it was 2+ years ago, but I'm envisioning pods grown with plutonium-based soil in which the plants glow brightly and the pods ripen rainbow color. :)

Chris

Back