Me & 'pain' Out on the tiles

I had a w/end off being single parent & went out on the turps with a mate (sober chauffeur) & a bottle of 'pain'. Hit a few bistro/bar/live band spots in West End BrisVegas. It was a huge hit {not surprised} both with resident punters & kitchen staff everywhere ~ but it got me thinking.

At present I can make 30, maybe 40 bottles in one hit on a single day. And thats all day. If I could reduce the labour I could reduce the cost & make it more available as it should be as rampant as Tabasco sauce.

I'm currently in two minds as to use bladders of pre-minced chillies, get an industrial moulle {sp?} or keep on going with what I'm doing.

What I do know is that everyone who tastes it, or even smells it, wants more. But the price is climbing each year the way I'm going. I'd even be happy to lease out the recipe as an exlusive.

Just don't know which way to step now, but its time to make a step.

What would you do?

Hey Bent,

A lot of ppl on here say not to sell the recipe for one reason or another.

To me it would depend on how you see yourself, your product, your abilities and your motivation.

Most inventors are happy to invent, create and then sell on the idea to someone. Some keep a part-share in the product, some not.

On the practical side, to go commercial would require a great deal of investment in machinery and that needs to be weighed up against the potential income that will be derived.

I prefer a cost model of pricing, where all costs are brought back to the bottle (ingredients, labour, advertising, distribution, machinery, rent, etc, etc) and then placing a price premium on the product. So you gotta think of the short run, medium and long run costings and when you think a profit will/should/needs to come.

PM me if you want to go into this further, quite happy to help you out w/ my accountin' skillz

RS

ring sting said:
Hey Bent,

A lot of ppl on here say not to sell the recipe for one reason or another.

I'm willing to rent, ie. give me $1 per bottle sold - you make - you distribute/market etc.

To me it would depend on how you see yourself, your product, your abilities and your motivation.

The product seems for the most part to sell itself, everyone who tried it wants more. Logo, brand-name etc would have to be negotiated.

Most inventors are happy to invent, create and then sell on the idea to someone. Some keep a part-share in the product, some not.

I'm quite happy to keep inventing ~ working on another recipe now, but 'pain' is iconic of my brand & inventiveness, it's a stalwart. It's not the hottest or the strangest, just out of the norm & a bit of a signature.

On the practical side, to go commercial would require a great deal of investment in machinery and that needs to be weighed up against the potential income that will be derived.

I could be wrong but I think 'Kraft' Foods could make it in the same machine they churn out their Creamy Caesar Salad Dressing in. Thats a good dressing too :P

I prefer a cost model of pricing, where all costs are brought back to the bottle (ingredients, labour, advertising, distribution, machinery, rent, etc, etc) and then placing a price premium on the product. So you gotta think of the short run, medium and long run costings and when you think a profit will/should/needs to come.

PM me if you want to go into this further, quite happy to help you out w/ my accountin' skillz

RS

We can chat here about strategies etc. The whole 'pain' experience from conception to now can be traced through this forum.

Gives everyting a date stamp ;)

Appreciate your input RS

Back