• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Measuring Up

I'm going out of town for a week to 10 days so here's an update on how the plants are doing before I go.

The tallest plant (except for an immature aji amarillo) is the long choc hab (Feb 14):
(The blue ruler is 18")
vacChoc.jpg

And her seed sacs:
vacChocPods.jpg

The plant with the heaviest pods is the larger of 2 red habs (Jan 18):
vacRed.jpg

And some of her spawn:
vacRedPoddage.jpg

(cont...)

The widest is still the large lemon drop. I'm picking 3 or 4 ripe ones a day from this plant alone... and it's packed with smaller pods and buds.
vacLemon.jpg

That's it. I'm dripping with sweat and in need of some A/C and refreshment now. Gonna be a heat index of 110F* again today and it ain't a dry heat, folks.

c.

*that's 43.33C for you metric types and last night's 2.5 cm of rain makes it miserable today indeed

holy hell, I 've got a Lemon drop in my raised bed, and it's already sending out sprawly side shoots like mad! I guess that's what it will look like in another month or so. No use trying to contain this one huh?

caroltlw said:
That's it. I'm dripping with sweat and in need of some A/C and refreshment now. Gonna be a heat index of 110F* again today and it ain't a dry heat, folks.

c.

*that's 43.33C for you metric types and last night's 2.5 cm of rain makes it miserable today indeed

Fantastic looking plants you've got there.

And 43.33C is too much. I'm way to fat for it to be that friggen hot! I don't understand how people can live in that kinda heat. Sure it'd be great if all you had to do was hang out and drink beer, but most people have to work and I don't think I could.

Thanks everyone!

FiveStar said:
holy hell, I 've got a Lemon drop in my raised bed, and it's already sending out sprawly side shoots like mad! I guess that's what it will look like in another month or so. No use trying to contain this one huh?

They're growing bigger than I thought they would. I might put them on pedestals (stumps) and let them hang down.

peppermanbaha said:
How's the heat on the amarillo plant.

Still young and just budding so no comment on the heat of the peppers. As far as it liking the hot weather - it's one of my wiltier plants. I might give it some more shade.

Blister said:
I'm way to fat for it to be that friggen hot! I don't understand how people can live in that kinda heat.

I thought I was getting too old for this shit, but maybe I'm just getting too fat?? ;) Seriously though, we're used to it being unbearably hot in July and August - I'm just not acclimatized yet and the river's flowing a bit too fast to go for a relaxing dip.

joeknowsjolokia said:
You should have your plant sitter keep sending us pics. That way we could keep an eye on them for you!:cool:

I was thinking of a chili-webcam. :lol:

Nice images Carol.

This heat has been unbearable. I'm guessing we've had over a week and a half of 98 F. and 105-110 F. heat index. I've got a couple of damaged bell peppers with heat scald. In one day, that happened.

I actually went fishing yesterday and am suffering for it today

Whereever, you're going hopefully it's cooler.

I went further south, near Melbourne, and it is cooler since it's on the coast. The forecast today is for 96 and the one for back home is 102! Might get back down around 90 here in a few days. I'm enjoying the plentiful free A/C.

Here's a pic of the peppers I brought with me. Some had been in the fridge for a few days, some were ripening on the counter, some are from the culling the other day, and some I stripped off before we left yesterday morning. There's a Sharpie in there somewhere for scale. Need to buy a ruler....
Sorry about the color balance.

vacHarvestLabels.jpg

higher res

The wax and jalapenos disappear very quickly. I've been saving up the white habs - probably do a powder. The Greekapenos are starting to turn red. That pile is all from one 3 gal plant. I'm experimenting with a hot marmalade salsa/jam from the lemon drops.

c.

The unripe ones are wrapped in paper towels with a ripe pepper or two. I brought them with me 'cause I'll have access to a real kitchen for a week. One with an oven and air conditioning and a toaster oven and air conditioning and a gas grill and air conditioning.

caroltlw said:
The unripe ones are wrapped in paper towels with a ripe pepper or two. I brought them with me 'cause I'll have access to a real kitchen for a week. One with an oven and air conditioning and a toaster oven and air conditioning and a gas grill and air conditioning.

I do A.C. for a living... yes even in Minnesota! Its going to be 90 tomarrow. I'm not leaving the house! Thats like August temps around here.
How do you live without ac?

I have A/C but only when the generator is running. We had to get up at 2:30 AM the other day to start it up so we could get back to sleep. The fan alone could NOT make it feel comfortable with like 90% humidity we had going.

caroltlw said:
I have A/C but only when the generator is running. We had to get up at 2:30 AM the other day to start it up so we could get back to sleep. The fan alone could NOT make it feel comfortable with like 90% humidity we had going.

Wow thats high! We had 70% and I couldn't stans it anymore!

Great pictures Carol. That's a ton of ripe White Bullets for June. I'm lucky to get any by August. I love the flavor and heat of that pepper! Probably would make a great powder.

Beautiful plants Carol - they dwarf mine.

We finally reached 90 degrees, quite odd as usually we hit that for a day in late May or very early June. But it won't quit raining.

Mike

Back