• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Meat Pie Thread

Using my new Fife flour I used it as the casing for a pie using my Deer mix I used for the throw-down.

P1110188_MeatPie-1000_zpssfdj6g93.jpg

P1110189_MeatPie-1000_zpsvcx3gvea.jpg

P1110190_MeatPie-1000_zpsgezvcjog.jpg

P1110191_MeatPie-1000_zpsietpmo5w.jpg

we have some aussie transplants in my city that make them but i haven`t tried them yet. it`s called penpies

penpies.png

Baked with a crispy pastry outer and filled with finely diced, deliciously seasoned meat, PenPies beef pies are a favorite meal with Aussies down under. Our individually wrapped pies come in an assortment of fillings.

Just heat 'em up and you're good to go! Easy!

We recommend: 1 minute in the microwave on high, followed by 15 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees (Fahrenheit), for a piping hot center and a crispy outer. 

PenPies come stuffed with these delicious fillings:
  • Traditional Aussie Style Beef Pie 
  • Aussie Style Beef Pie with Cheese
  • Beef Pie with Black Pepper
  • Texan Style Beef Pie
  • Bacon & Egg Pie
  • Sausage Rolls                                                          (All beef skinless sausage rolled in flaky pastry)

In my neck of the woods...a  favorite  food come winter/spring or fall is Chicken Pot Pie.I posted this in the Pie Dessert section,didn't know
this thread existed..Rotisserie Chicken,broth made with what's left after most meat removed.I forgot to incorporate the peas in the mix so
added  before the the lattice top.Also did put crust on the bottom & prebaked that..I like a lot of crust with my Pot Pie,even if it's not
that healthy eating  ..once in a long while is  AOK. :P
R4DpMLa.jpg

I have friends.

That love store bought.

Pot pies.

Turkey and chicken pot pies.

Mrs. Lame AF pot pies.

I think they're crap.

The Aussie version.

Reminds me.

Of a Vietnamese bbq pork bao.

But in a pie crust.

Because.

You stinkin' Aussies.

And your stinkin' pot pies.

Save me some!

wiriwiri said:
A popular Chicken Pot Pie here in NE is Mrs.Budd's..they use a ton of cornstarch,lots of goo..not that good IMO.Will look for those PenPies.
Oh TB..you ask too late ...all gone. ;)
12oz+All.jpg

Wiri.

Screw those.

I'd eat the hell.

Out of your home made.

Any day.

Too late?

Dang on me.

wiriwiri said:
In my neck of the woods...a  favorite  food come winter/spring or fall is Chicken Pot Pie.I posted this in the Pie Dessert section,didn't know
this thread existed..Rotisserie Chicken,broth made with what's left after most meat removed.I forget to incorporate the peas in the mix so
added  before the the lattice top.Also did put crust on the bottom & prebaked that..I like a lot of crust with my Pot Pie,even if it's not
that healthy eating  ..once in a long while is  AOK. :P
R4DpMLa.jpg
looks delicious. the frozen store bought ones suck. i have to try making them myself.

"looks delicious. the frozen store bought ones suck. i have to try making them myself."

Thanks LMSP3 ...was a good change for supper...mostly prep time..dicing onion/carrots/potato/carrots & what else you want...I equate
it to Chinese cooking..lotsa prepping..,,it's good use of rotisserie chicken from Big Y,their Super bird is so good. ;)

YUMMY! Love that lattice top, it almost looks like phyllo dough/puff pastry layers... is it?

Good call on the chicken pot pie. That's the problem about pastry on a pie, it's just so good. A shepherd's pie is close, but just not the same.

Here's the recipe for the beef meat pies (Bill Granger):
  • 2 tablespoons plain (all-purpose) flour
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 1.5 kg chuck or blade steak, cut into 2 cm chunks
  • 425g can chopped tomatoes
  • 5 garlic cloves, sliced
  • 2 red onions, cut in half and finely sliced
  • 1 stick celery, finely chopped
  • 250ml (1 cup) red wine
  • 1 teaspoon thyme leaves, chopped
  • 300g button mushrooms
  • 30g flat-leaf (Italian) parsley, roughly chopped
  • Packet puff pastry
  • Packet short crust pastry
  • 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
  1. Preheat the oven to 180° C / 350° F.
  2. Place the flour and paprika in a bowl and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. Add the beef and toss until it is covered in flour. Place in an ovenproof casserole dish.
  4. Add the tomato, garlic, onion, celery, red wine and thyme and stir. Cover and cook for one and a half hours, stirring occasionally.
  5. Add the mushrooms, cover and return to the oven.
  6. Cook, stirring occasionally, for one hour, or until the sauce is thickened slightly and the beef and mushrooms are tender.
  7. Remove from the oven and stir through the parsley. The filling can be made up to a day in advance to this stage.
  8. Increase the oven temperature to 200° C / 400° F.
  9. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry until 3 mm / 1/4" thick. Using the pie dish as a template cut out the pastry.
  10. Divide the filling into the pies and cover with pastry, pushing down the edges around the rim.
  11. Make a cut in the pastry top with a sharp knife to allow any steam to escape and brush with the egg yolk.
  12. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the pastry is lightly golden.
The original published recipe calls for puff pastry top and bottom, but that isn't correct. Or at least not the pies I grew up with. So short crust on the bottom and puff pastry on the top it is. And pastry made with butter.

I've also been contemplating making chili pies...

Oh ...if I must  reveal my secret ...ok..yes it's puff pastry,good eye...made by a great company in the Nutmeg State..so appropriately named
"PEPPER"IDGE FARM,they make great stuff.I think their PP will work for some baked samosas  with lots of spicy  tamarind/pepper chutney or similar...
Maybe the calorie count will  be ~the same..save on oil(frying versus baking/ butter in the PP)...or  try  wonton wrapppers
or a few layers of phyllo dough... I like to experiment  & come up with new recipes. ;)

Hi Colin,merci beaucoup for posting your recipe..I just put together that Chicken PP with some left over chicken & we had the puff P
in the freezer..and there's always carrots/potato/celery onions & such around so I just whipped it up..thicken with a bit of flour  sort of
rue with a bit of white wine & approp seasonings...I like to use thyme & a bit of rosemary for herbs.

I do make pot roast in the oven  ..I braise the meat first then add the vegs midway with a beurre manie to thicken the gravy.
...I believe that would be good in a pot pie,but never tried it..Sometimes we get some sales on bottom/top round or similar type meat
for < 2$ USD per lb...so I either do this braising or use my pressure cooker on these tough cuts for beef stew & it's always a hit.

May I ask if you're a chef? Not in the culinary profession but love to experiment and add new dishes to the menu,fond of most ethic food types,
.also where we live there are no good restaurants nearby :(

A chef, no - unless you count the alternate universe that is my kitchen at home...  :rofl:

Basically about the same as yourself. Any and all good food is a target, and when it's not available then there's the challenge! And even if it is available then why not?
BTW - full disclosure: the beef pie recipe is not mine, rather from an Australian chef Bill Granger. Gravy consistency for meat pies can be a bit tricky to get right, but that recipe does it. 

Back